How To Set A NEW Default View In Windows 7 Explorer? RRS feed

• Question

• [Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit]

In Windows Explorer (NOT IE) > Details Pane >, how can I Set as a New Permanent Default View, to be: "Details" AND "Size All Columns To Fit",
     whenever I open Windows Explorer?  I want this to be a change that is Automatic & Permanent for ALL Folders, BOTH Existing & any New Folders I create, whenever Windows Explorer is Opened.  My Primary preference is on having "Size All Columns To Fit" automatically adjust all the columns in any folder depending on the content length of the longest entry in each specific column.
    Friday, June 3, 2011 3:29 AM

Answers

• Hi,

To archive your requirement, please refer to the following steps.

1. Open Windows Explorer, in the left pane, click Computer.

2. Press Alt key and you will see the toolbar under address bar. Click View -> Details, Sort by Total Size

3. Click Organize -> Folder and search options

4. On View tab, click Apply to Folders button and confirm it.

After that, the next time you start the Windows Explorer, it will display as details and sort by size.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, June 13, 2011 2:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:18 AM

All replies

• Hi,

To archive your requirement, please refer to the following steps.

1. Open Windows Explorer, in the left pane, click Computer.

2. Press Alt key and you will see the toolbar under address bar. Click View -> Details, Sort by Total Size

3. Click Organize -> Folder and search options

4. On View tab, click Apply to Folders button and confirm it.

After that, the next time you start the Windows Explorer, it will display as details and sort by size.

Best Regards,

Niki

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" on the post that helps you, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Niki Han Monday, June 13, 2011 2:33 AM
    Tuesday, June 7, 2011 8:18 AM
  • The answer is only appropriate if the question is just: "How To Set A NEW Default View In Windows 7 Explorer". It does not address how to "Size all columns to fit" by default as asked by NomadGuy.

I hope a better answer comes along. W

Thursday, August 2, 2012 7:09 AM
  • Answered my question perfectly! Now if only you could tell me how to default sort images in Windows Live Photo Gallery (an idiotic update to the perfectly useful older viewer) by date taken, I'd be obliged. In any case, Niki Han, you are my hero regarding Explorer views. HIDDEN MENU, but of course!

• Edited by La_Cal89 Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:47 PM
    Thursday, October 4, 2012 11:42 PM