locked
Tape backup not filling tape RRS feed

  • Question

  • I know this is being asked multiple times by many people but nothing I am finding seems to help. I have DPM 2012, 1 protection group, a Quantum Superloader 3 LTO-5 tape library with the latest drivers and firmware. I have set the PG to only do Long Term full backups daily to tape. The backup starts fine but gets to about 750GB and then screams that the tape is full, ready for off site storage and that another tape is needed. Compression is enabled on the job and on the Quantum.

    I know at least 750GB is left on the tape for remaining space. How can I get the tape to be used fully? Also, is there a way for DPM to report on how much space is available on a tape? I don't see this anywhere so it leads me to believe that DPM doesn't know how big the tapes are. Maybe this is a function of drivers and hardware to determine when a tape is full but it would be nice to know how much space is available on a tape through DPM.

    Any help with filling up a tape would be great. - Thanks.


    P.S. - a progress indicator on what percentage of a job is complete would be nice too instead of just saying it's in progress.
    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 4:50 PM

Answers

  • Sorry for the long delay but here is an update on this issue.

    Since the tape issue appeared, I have added 6TB of disk space to the storage pool and changed the PG several times for testing and working through various errors. At the moment I have all of my databases, VM's, Files and Email being synced each hour to disk with a long term backup happening once a week with no issues. I did check the logs for the errors stated above but did not find them. I did however have a second tape job run with even more data and all of it ran to 1 tape with no issues. At this point I would say everything is good and running smooth. I am not sure why I had the original problem but it's no longer an issue.

    I am unsure how I should close this topic. Let me know if I should accept your answer or close it another way.

    Thanks

    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:28 PM

All replies

  • Hi,

    DPM will close out a tape and mark it offsite ready when the tape drive reports one of these status codes.

    "0x8007044C"     Means The physical end of the tape has been reached. 
    "0x8007045D"     Means The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error.

    Search the DPMRA logs on the DPM Server for either of those codes.

       find /i "0x8007045D" DPMRA*.Errlog
       find /I "0x8007044C" DPMRA*.Errlog

    Check this blog if you see 0x8007045D errors.

    http://blogs.technet.com/b/dpm/archive/2012/05/14/things-you-can-do-to-help-data-protection-manager-utilize-your-tapes-full-capacity.aspx

    If you only see the 0x8007044C"  The physical end of the tape has been reached - then it sounds like the command to enable compression is not being honored by the tape drive.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Tuesday, November 13, 2012 6:37 PM
  • Sorry for the long delay but here is an update on this issue.

    Since the tape issue appeared, I have added 6TB of disk space to the storage pool and changed the PG several times for testing and working through various errors. At the moment I have all of my databases, VM's, Files and Email being synced each hour to disk with a long term backup happening once a week with no issues. I did check the logs for the errors stated above but did not find them. I did however have a second tape job run with even more data and all of it ran to 1 tape with no issues. At this point I would say everything is good and running smooth. I am not sure why I had the original problem but it's no longer an issue.

    I am unsure how I should close this topic. Let me know if I should accept your answer or close it another way.

    Thanks

    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:28 PM
  • Hi,

    You would have had to check for the errors in the following folder.

    DPM2010, or upgrade to DPM2012:  C:\Program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM\temp 
    DPM 2012 fresh install:  C:\Program files\System Center 2012\DPM\DPM\temp 

    However, since the problem went away, I'll just mark your last reply as the answer.


    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

    Sunday, November 18, 2012 5:56 PM