none
Sharepoint edit in browser page failed to load RRS feed

• Question

• Hi everyone..

I have a PWA site that has at least hundreds of projects. Some projects have sub projects and others have more than 500 tasks.

When i tried to edit a project plan with around 200 tasks, everything works fine. But when i try to edit projects with more than 500 lines of task in browser the page would load for a very long time and throw error. But if i refresh the page seconds after i hit edit in browser the page will then load fine. It seems like the page has to be pushed while loading to display the editable page.

Im using Project Server 2013 by the way.

I had updated my above post to be direct with the issue. Any help would be much appreciated.

Below is the log of the correlation Id of the error, hope this help:

02/09/2015 15:08:32.84

w3wp.exe (0x16D8)  0x04EC 0xB217023 ahjqp High [Forced due to logging gap, cached @ 02/09/2015 15:08:32.70, Original Level: Verbose] SQL connection time: 0.0809460420248942 75f5e79c-783e-a090-5f32-f52e977a9b62

[Forced due to logging gap, cached @ 02/09/2015 15:08:32.85, Original Level: Verbose] The SecurityTokenServiceHeaderInfo including the correlation ID was added.

Batch request was created without a batch name, specify a batch name for better telemetry. 
        at System.Environment.GetStackTrace(Exception e, Boolean needFileInfo) 
        at System.Environment.get_StackTrace() 
        at Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.DataAccessLayer.DAL.SubDal.GetSqlBatchRequest(String batchName) .....

[Forced due to logging gap, cached @ 02/09/2015 15:08:33.89, Original Level: VerboseEx] PWA:, ServiceApp:Project Server Service Application... 

Thanks,

Cathylou

Thursday, February 12, 2015 2:41 AM

Answers

• Just an update, even when i try to edit in project pro and republish the project still the issue is there.

Anyway, since we are fixing this issue for ages now, our team decided to escalate the issue to the Microsoft support team. Their agents are helping us sincerely with this issue.

Will update you guys once the issue is fixed.

Thanks,

Cathylou

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:39 AM

All replies

• I guess the first question is what version of Project Server are you running?  If you are running PWA 2013, have you configured your office web apps farm?  If not, please refer to the following:
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/speschka/archive/2012/07/23/configuring-office-web-apps-in-sharepoint-2013.aspx
    Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:35 AM
  • Hi David, thanks for your quick response. Yes i am using 2013 version. I'll check the link that you posted.

Will update you after i go through it. Thanks again :)

Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:39 AM
  • Hi David, i went through the link you shared. is there any other/easy way than this? its just that im not very experienced in configuring SharePoint. 

And also just an update to my previous post, the issue is only when i am opening a project that has not been updated yet through the browser. I can only get the page after i hit refresh.

if i open a 500 task project that has been updated already the page would load fine taking only 9-12 sec.

It's like something is blocking the task editable page to be displayed and need to push it more by doing a refresh.

Please point me to the right direction as to where to check first. Thanks so much..

Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:51 AM
  • Was this system upgraded from a prior version? If so, it may indicate that nobody opened and republished the projects after upgrade.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Thursday, February 12, 2015 6:12 PM
  • aproclou,

You do not need Office Web Apps to use Project Server or edit the schedule in the browser. This is a defaul functionality with PS2013.

I would go with what Gary suggested below. Open the Schedule in MS Project, and publihs and then try again.

if thst does not work, then I think we should look at your farm specs.

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Thursday, February 12, 2015 9:41 PM
  • Hi Gary, thanks for your response.

The projects were migrated form 2007 to 2010 and then to 2013.

I'm not sure if this is helpful but when I open projects that were previously updated in browser the page would load fine. I'm currently doing some tests in the test instance of epm that we had set up and im able to reproduce the error by adding some fields that has long formula and with graphical indicators and also when i added more and more projects with more than 500 lines of task.

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:26 AM
  • Hi Prasanna, thanks for responding also :).

As I had responded to Gary, I had tried updating the projects in PWA only. I'm just wondering if there is any settings that need to be configured since I'm able to open projects with less than 500 lines of task with no issues.

Do you think it has something to do with the farm specs/set up?

Friday, February 13, 2015 8:30 AM
  • Your response simply ignores my advice to use the Project client. This is especially important if you have custom fields. PWA does not cut it for a migration.

Gary Chefetz, MCITP, MCP, MVP msProjectExperts
    Project and Project ServerFAQs
    Project Server Help BLOG

Monday, February 23, 2015 5:30 PM
  • Just an update, even when i try to edit in project pro and republish the project still the issue is there.

Anyway, since we are fixing this issue for ages now, our team decided to escalate the issue to the Microsoft support team. Their agents are helping us sincerely with this issue.

Will update you guys once the issue is fixed.

Thanks,

Cathylou

Tuesday, February 24, 2015 9:39 AM
  • Hi all,

I know this is already a very old thread but this might come handy to someone in the future. Regarding the issue above, we decided to ask for Microsoft's Support Team to help us fix the issue. The solution was to install the updates below:

First Stage - SharePoint Server, SharePoint foundation, Project Server 2013 Service Pack 1

=======================================================================

1. Download SharePoint foundation 2013 SP1 and install it, you can choose not to run configuration wizard first.

Service Pack 1 for Microsoft SharePoint Foundation 2013 (KB2880551)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-au/download/details.aspx?id=42548

2. Download SharePoint server 2013 SP1 and install it, you can choose not to run configuration wizard first.

Description of Microsoft SharePoint Server 2013 Service Pack 1 (SP1)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42544

3. Download Project server 2013 SP1 and install it, we must run SharePoint configuration wizard now and make sure configuration wizard is run successfully.

Service Pack 1 for Microsoft Project Server 2013 (KB2880553)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=42545

Second Stage - February 2015 Project Server CU

=====================================

4. Download cumulative update below and install it, we must run SharePoint configuration wizard now and make sure configuration wizard is run successfully.

Update for Microsoft Project Server 2013 (KB2920796)

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=45820

5. Verified at UAT environment, it works after installing the patches.

6. Verified in production environment, it works after installing the patches.

Thanks to all your suggestions guys and to all the Microsoft Support Engineers who dedicated their time and effort with us all the way to solving the issue :)

Thanks, aproclou

Saturday, January 30, 2016 3:39 AM