none
Can the .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct be recreated properly if it is deleted from Users RRS feed

• Question

• I think i made a mistake. I was trying to mess with DPM in my lab.  it kept failing to install on the prereq check.

I looked up a forum to see what based on the error, and something came p about the local .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct permissions.

i wanted to delete them and try again.

so i went into users on Server 2008r2 and deleted the dpm accounts.

It turns out it was on my production dpm box.

i want to know how screwed I am.

Is there a way to receate them properly.  I added back the .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct and a reporting account by right clicking and saying add user.  then named them what i think they should be and gave them a password of what i think i remember using when I setup DPM way back when.

the DPM server is up and runing fine, but i can not log into the SQL with .\MICROSOFT$DPM$Acct and password.  I can get into the SQL DB with my domain account.

I also get an error when generating reports.

please tell me this can be fix somewhat easily.

error on reports below.

• An
      error occurred during client rendering.
      • An
        error has occurred during report processing.
        • Cannot
          impersonate user for data source 'DataSource1'.
          • Log
            on failed.
            • For
              more information about this error navigate to the report server on the local
              server machine, or enable remote errors

Ian

Thursday, August 23, 2012 1:52 PM

All replies

• when you install dpm you have to create a password for "MICROSOFT$DPM$Acc", you need to use the same password.
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:08 PM
  • I am positive that I have used the same password. 

i have not rebooted the box to see what happens. i have read that the account is used to start up the SQL db. i am not sure if that will fail on a reboot or not.

I think for the reporting i added the wrong account name.

i did it again and reporting seems to be OK.  i can see the custom report my supervisor created.  I will see if i can generate reports within the DPM console

Ian

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:18 PM
  • FYI, i can generate reports from within the dpm console.

Ian

Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:40 PM
  • are you using DPM 2012 or DPM 2012?
    Thursday, August 23, 2012 2:59 PM
  • sorry, i guess that would be helpful.

DPM2010 - Ver: 3.0.7706.0

Dell PE 1950 Windows 2008R2 /SP1

9TB array

Ian

Thursday, August 23, 2012 3:04 PM
  • i feel i need to bump this. 

Also, i figured some more details as to what we did.

we looked on our drdpm to see what we could compare. 

I added the Microsoft$DPM$Acct account to the folder permissions in c:\program files\Microsoft DPM\DPM ...  Bin and DPMDB.  i had to use different admin account to add the permissions for DPMDB because i could not apply the account to the .mdf and .ldf in the folder.  (however, when i looked at the permissions after that fact, Microsoft$DPM$Acct was not applied, only a local sql agent account i seems.  i left that be)

in SQL management,

we added the new Microsoft$DPM$Acct account i manually created in the permissions and as SA

we applied Microsoft$DPM$Acct ad the owner of the schedules. 

sadly, this still does not resolve anything.

It seems that DPM used the Microsoft$DPM$Acct as the account to run the scheduled jobs, but it failes.  We believe that DPM uses the UID of the account i deleted.

Because i added a new local account, it has a new UID

some errors and warnings that occur when the scheduled jobs are supposed to run.

Error:

The description for Event ID 976 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

The DPM job failed because it could not contact the DPM engine.

Problem Details:

<JobTriggerFailed><__System><ID>9</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>8/24/2012 12:15:03 PM</TimeCreated><Source>TriggerJob.cs</Source><Line>76</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><Tags><JobSchedule /></Tags></JobTriggerFailed>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

Warning:

SQL Server Scheduled Job '2b3f0289-2bc6-4375-baca-bdaacc049185' (0x1B3D0094E587804DB79BD077C3D0A8A3) - Status: Failed - Invoked on: 2012-08-24 08:15:00 - Message: The job failed.  The Job was invoked by Schedule 5628 (Schedule 1).  The last step to run was step 1 (Default JobStep).

Any one have any thoughts on if i can edit something to change the UID somewhere

any ideas if i could perform some sort of repair or PS script to create a proper Microsoft$DPM$Acct and apply permissions...

Any thoughts at all??

thanks

Ian

Friday, August 24, 2012 12:52 PM