none
Project Professional Local Cache is caching resource data RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have an issue with the local cache functionality in Project Professional 2010.

I have written an application that pulls data from an HR system, and inserts rates into each resource's rate table. This application works fine.

The problem is, these new rates do not show up in Project Professional unless the user clears their local cache. Only then do the updated values show up.

I've read various forums and it is clear that its not possible to disable the cache, and many people strongly advise not deleting its contents.

Currently I have my users clearing the cache every friday night, and running the rate sync every saturday night.

Is there any way for project professional to read updated resource information from the server without clearing the cache? Why is project server so obsessed with caching resource information?

Any help is appreciated

Thursday, May 31, 2012 4:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Paul MC2,

I would highly recommend updating the resource rates in the server databases, if you are not not doing this, then anything you update on the resource will be local only (and infact i'm surprised you can do it at all).  An alternative to try would be to open the Enterprise Resource Pool for all resources, run your update, and then save and close the resource pool.  

Ben Howard [MVP] blog | web

Thursday, May 31, 2012 9:33 PM
  • Hey Ben,

I should have been clearer, my application updates resources in the enterprise resource pool through the PSI. After this update is run, all users are still seeing the resource rates cached on their local machine, and not the updated ones that reside on the server.

The only way to fix this is to delete the user's local cache. I really want to find a better way than this.
    • Edited by Paul MC2 Friday, June 1, 2012 5:58 PM
    Friday, June 1, 2012 2:39 PM
  • Hi Paul,

Others may know better than I, but I expect new the new Resource data is downloaded if project somehow recognises that there has been an update -I don't know how this mechanism works, but maybe just updating the resource rates via the PSI is not sufficient.  I would repost on the Project Server customisation forum.

HTH, Ben [MVP]

Friday, June 1, 2012 9:38 PM
  • This problem also occurs in cases where the RBS lookup table is edited in PWA.  New values for resources appear immediately in PWA, but not in Project Pro until the cache is completely emptied (via windows Explorer).

Reid McTaggart – DeltaBahn Vice President
    Blog | Twitter | LinkedIn Please click Mark As Answer; if a post solves your problem or Vote As Helpful if a post has been useful to you. This can help other community members reading the thread.

Tuesday, February 18, 2014 9:51 PM