none
Mass check-in of documents using ANY browser not working (check-in multiple documents)

Question

• Hi all

As per subject, I cannot check-in multiple documents using SharePoint Online. 

We migrated from an on-premise SharePoint server to Office 365. This functionality works with our on-premise server but does not work on Office 365.

How did I check in multiple documents at once? I used to go to Site Settings --> Content and Structure --> Select the particular folder ---> Change view from 'Default' to 'Checked Out To Me" and then check-in ALL documents currently checked out by me. Doing this on SharePoint Online (Office365) does not work, the page loads for a few seconds and then reverts back to the Default view.

What I've tried so far:

• I have changed a setting from "New Experience" to "Classic Experience".
    • I've enabled "Office SharePoint Server Publishing Infrastructure" globally and "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" per site.
    • Waited a whole week for any changes to perhaps "propagate".

I can do this using SharePoint Designer(After enabling "Office SharePoint Server Publishing" for one site), but I want to be able to do this using a browser, for obvious reasons.

I am a global admin and the Office 365 subscription I use is "Business Essentials".

Any idea on how to get this working, I suspect I may need to be part of some security group but then, I can do this using SharePoint designer so this is not it.

Thanks for reading
    Steven

Monday, February 27, 2017 10:34 AM

Answers

• Hi Lisa

So this did not work either, I was still unable to check in documents en-masse with the browser.

This problem has been resolved now by the way. I spoke with quite a few Microsoft support persons who eventually got me straight through to a Microsoft SharePoint Developer. Here is the fix...

This is quite a simple/stupid fix!!!!

1. In any site collection that may/may not have the publishing feature enabled, Go to the Pages Library and check out several pages/areas. Just casually browse this area, even if this area is empty and contains nothing.
    2. That's it! You should now be able to mass check-in documents!

This is the weirdest and most annoying fix I've ever come across, so random and arbitrary!

• Marked as answer by StevenSpray Monday, March 27, 2017 12:00 PM
    • Edited by StevenSpray Monday, March 27, 2017 12:01 PM fixed spacing mistake
    Monday, March 27, 2017 12:00 PM

All replies

• Hi StevenSptay,

From your description, you migrated an on-premise SharePoint server to Office 365, then you cannot check in multiple of documents from content and structure.

I have done a test in my SharePoint online site and I can check in multiple of documents from content and structure.

I need to collection the following information to narrow down the issue:

1. Create a new document library and compare whether you can check in multiple of documents in the new documents.
    2. Check whether you can check in multiple of documents from the default view.
    3. Check whether you can check in multiple of documents from the documents directly. If you can create a new view and filter the view "Check Out To" is equal to [Me], then check in multiple of documents from the documents library directly:

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Tuesday, February 28, 2017 2:51 AM
  • Hi Lisa thanks for your reply.

I'll try to be succinct with my answers...

1. Nope, this did not work either, same symptom
    2. This DID work. When I drilled down to the specific folder/files after going to Site Settings and Content and Structure, I could select them all and choose Actions --> Check In.
    3. This also worked and I've known about this option actually.

Option 2 is not favourable as a typical scenario would involve an end user (or Admin) to not know which documents are checked out so having to wade through all respective subsites and folders is not practical.

Option 3 is even more unfavourable and this would just require too much work.

How can I check in multiple documents in the normal fashion? I would like to be able to navigate to the Home page, then go to Site Settings --> Content and Structure and change the view there to "Checked Out To Me". This will show all files checked out to a particular person regardless of where the files are located, in one easy list.

Again, thanks for your reply.

Regards
    Steven

• Edited by StevenSpray Tuesday, February 28, 2017 10:01 AM
    Tuesday, February 28, 2017 9:58 AM
  • Hi StevenSpary,

I can check in multiple of documents of Checked Out To Me view from content and structure in my SharePoint online site.

Since your SharePoint online is migrated from an SharePoint on-premise server which could results to the issue.

How did you migrate from SharePoint on-premise to SharePoint online?

Create a new site collection in SharePoint online and check whether the issue exists.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

Wednesday, March 1, 2017 9:57 AM
  • Sorry I was misleading.

We didn't migrate from on-premise to Office365 perse, rather, just started using SharePoint Online and slowly copied over all the documents from the on premise server manually, it was not a "migration". So this is basically a new site/tenant.

Regards
    Steven

Thursday, March 2, 2017 4:31 PM
  • Hi StevenSpray,

I suggest you creating a new site collection in SharePoint online and compare whether the issue exists in new site collection.

Best Regards,

Lisa Chen

Friday, March 10, 2017 11:50 AM
  • Hi Lisa

Apologies for my late reply.

I have not tried this yet, I'll find out if I can do this and see if if works, cheers for the suggestion.

Regards
    Steven

Friday, March 17, 2017 10:04 AM
  • Hi Lisa

So this did not work either, I was still unable to check in documents en-masse with the browser.

This problem has been resolved now by the way. I spoke with quite a few Microsoft support persons who eventually got me straight through to a Microsoft SharePoint Developer. Here is the fix...

This is quite a simple/stupid fix!!!!

1. In any site collection that may/may not have the publishing feature enabled, Go to the Pages Library and check out several pages/areas. Just casually browse this area, even if this area is empty and contains nothing.
    2. That's it! You should now be able to mass check-in documents!

This is the weirdest and most annoying fix I've ever come across, so random and arbitrary!

• Marked as answer by StevenSpray Monday, March 27, 2017 12:00 PM
    • Edited by StevenSpray Monday, March 27, 2017 12:01 PM fixed spacing mistake
    Monday, March 27, 2017 12:00 PM
  • Hi,

After having done that, what's the way to check in multiple files?

Monday, August 28, 2017 11:40 AM