none
Can data in a Project 2010 file be synced with PWA timesheet data submitted against an un-published task? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently learned that best practice when you're mid-project and have a task that should no longer be charged to is to use the "Close Task to Update" option in Project Server 2010 instead of setting the "Publish" field to "No" to remove the task from team members' timesheets because removal of task entries can lead to data inconsistencies.

Prior to learning this, one of these data inconsistencies was introduced into one of my project files. Specifically, I set the "Publish" status to "No" on completed task without realizing that a team member had submitted a correction to a previous time period's timesheet that had not yet been approved. These corrected data are now shown in the Reporting Database, but they did not get carried through to the project file.

Is there a way to reconcile the data shown in the project file with the data in the Reporting Database?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:34 PM

All replies

• Dawna,

The reporting database will have values directly from the Timesheet if you are looking at the timesheet tables. So no surpise there.

Have you approved the correct value, and published the project? That should bring the values back into project..

Cheers,

Prasanna Adavi, Project MVP

Blog:   Podcast:    Twitter:    LinkedIn:   

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 6:43 PM
  • Prasanna,

Here's what I think happened:

1. User submitted incorrect actuals against Task A on his timesheet. (In addition to the expected hours against the current period [TS1], he had accidentally submitted actuals against a future time period [TS2] that was not part of my current review window.)
    2. Not realizing he had incorrectly reported his time, I accepted the actuals and published them to the project.
    3. I updated the project, changing the Publish flag for Task A to No since no further work was expected against the task.
    4. The following week, the user resubmitted a correct version of TS2.
    5. The reporting database got updated with the new TS2 data.

Everything in my approval queue that was submitted by this user has been approved and published; however, the data in my project file does not match what I am seeing in the reporting database.

Do I just need to change the Publish flag for Task A back to Yes to get my project file to capture the changes that were made during the resubmission of TS2?

Tuesday, November 18, 2014 11:47 PM
  • Hi Dawna E,

If you are able to see these changes in draft mode and not in published mode then Yes you need to set the Publish flag to Yes and publish your project to roll out the changes. 

let us know if this works.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )
    If you found this post helpful, please “Vote as Helpful”. If it answered your question, please “Mark as Answer”.

Thursday, November 20, 2014 3:57 AM