How to Update VMM Agent to lastest version on a Host in Perimeter Network RRS feed

• Question

• the VMM Agent Version on the host in the Perimeter Network is showing as 2.0.3444.0.

The Remaining hosts which are on the internal Network are showing as Version 2.0.4271.0

When I right the host and select "Update Agent" -  getting the following error:

Error (10436)
    Virtual Machine Manager does not support updating an agent on a host that is in a non-trusted domain or on a perimeter network. 

Recommended Action
    If the host is in a non-trusted domain, remove Xxxxhost01 from VMM in Hosts view of the VMM Administrator Console. Then use the Add Hosts Wizard to add the host and automatically install a new agent.

If the host is on a perimeter network, after you remove the host from VMM, you must manually uninstall the VMM agent from the host computer, install a new agent locally on the host, and then add the host to VMM.

WHAT IS THE PROCEDURE TO UPDATE THE AGENT, AS I CANNOT FIND THE LASTEST VERSION OF THE AGENT ON THE MICROSOFT WEBSITE.

Tuesday, December 8, 2009 11:45 AM

Answers

• Hiya,

Update it manually.
    The agent software is found together with your SCVMM server.

When you run setup.exe from the installation media you can choose "Local Agent" - which will do the trick in your case.

• Marked as answer by bennair Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:32 PM

All replies

• Hiya,

Update it manually.
    The agent software is found together with your SCVMM server.

When you run setup.exe from the installation media you can choose "Local Agent" - which will do the trick in your case.

• Marked as answer by bennair Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:03 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 1:32 PM
  • Many Thanks Jesper,

I copied the latest version folder from the SCVMM Server to the host server and ran the vmmagent.exe. this is upated the agent to the latest version.

• Proposed as answer by Ivailo Tzenkov Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:46 PM
    Tuesday, December 8, 2009 2:05 PM
  • I can confirm - the solution of Jesper works!

Allow me to clarify: After upgrading SCVMM 2008 R2 to the RC of SP1, everything worked fine (agent version on all hosts was updated to 2.0.4516.0). A few weeks later (Feb 2011), an update to VMM was released and after applying it we had to "update" all agents to version 2.0.4275.0 (obviously lower, but anyway). The issue was that the VMM server didn't want to update its own agent (and it was needed to do so, as the VMM machine hosts the default library share), so the only solution was to copy the vmmAgent.exe file from a host where the "update" was successful to the VMM server (and you should stop the Virtual Machine Manager Agent service) - on both servers the location is the same - c:\Program Files\Microsoft System Center Virtual Machine Manager 2008 R2\bin. Then just start the service and refresh what's needed in the VMM console.

Thanks, Jesper!

Ivailo Tzenkov
    • Proposed as answer by Varzor Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:42 AM
    • Unproposed as answer by Varzor Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:42 AM
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 1:46 PM
  • I'm having another issue with this.

I have a single physical host that is going to be managed by SCVMM 2008 R2.  For whatever reasons, I do not have it joined to the domain in which the SCVMM VM is running.  It is in a workgroup.  (Part of the reason is that I wanted to get it working in this environment just to see what it would take.)

I installed a VM with SCVMM and used Windows Update to update.  I used the exact same distribution media for SCVMM and installed the agent on the physical host.  I went through the process of adding the host to SCVMM by creating the security file.  It joined fine and I can manage the host with the SCVMM VM, even though my host is labeled as "Needs attention".  Status says that it needs a newer version of the agent.  I have run Windows update multiple times, and it never updates the agent.  I don't have another physical host that is joined to the domain.  Therefore, there is no way for me to copy an updated .exe across the wire.

Maybe there is a hot fix for this?

Any pointers appreciated.

tim

tim

Saturday, December 3, 2011 7:55 PM
  • If you try to update using the VMM console (right click the host and select Update agent), what error do you receive?
    Ivailo Tzenkov
    Sunday, December 4, 2011 7:50 PM
  • And I can confirm -It work for SCVMM 2012 and 2012SP1 too.

It will be better to copy all bin folder, because there were some .dll files, that has different - newer version.

Wednesday, October 2, 2013 8:46 AM