none
Block access to Windows Apps (pro) RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have a few computers now running Windows 10 pro and I managed to add a few policies in place to prevent those users from opening certain apps.

I have set up the 'Don't run specified Windows applications' policy with a few apps like iexplore.exe, notepad.exe and few others but I noticed this does not work for Windows Apps like Sticky Notes and probably other apps within the Windows Apps directory.

To make things clear, if a user opens a file explorer and navigates to Program Files/Windows Apps/ (if you take ownership of that directory otherwise this is not possible) and runs Microsoft.Notes.exe then a message will say it's been disabled by your admin but still, users can simply search for sticky notes and hitting return and this will open the app -unlike with any other built in app like notepad or say paint, where this works and if you search by notepad it will find it but users still won't be able to open it- which is the way it should work.

I am aware these are Windows Apps and are sandboxed or whatever, but I see no other way of blocking apps.

App Locker is not an option as that would only work for Enterprise version.

As an extreme extra step I've decided to try removing all these apps from powershell but this is no use, if a new user log in to the domain then these apps will be reinstalled on the user's directory? I may have done something wrong but I would still prefer to disable these apps through gpo rather than uninstalling them on each machine.

Any ideas appreciated!

Thursday, October 24, 2019 9:45 AM

All replies

• Hi, 

Try to go the following path:

COMPUTER CONFIGURATION > POLICIES > WINDOWS SETTINGS > SECRURITY SETTINGS > SOFTWARE RESTRICTION POLICIES >

At this point, right click and select NEW or CREATE to populate this GPO.

Then right click ADDITIONAL RULES, and create a rule through application path such as %programfiles%\WindowsApps\Microsoft.WindowsStore*

Please check if it works on your side. 

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, October 25, 2019 9:19 AM
  • Hi,

Haven't received your message a few days, was your issue resolved? 

I am proposing previous helpful replies as "Answered". Please feel free to try it and let me know the result. If the reply is helpful, please remember to mark it as answer which can help other community members who have same questions and find the helpful reply quickly.

Bests,

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, October 29, 2019 7:34 AM
  • Thank you Joy-Qiao I haven't had a chance to try this yet but I will find some time and let you know soon.
    Tuesday, October 29, 2019 11:10 AM
  • Hi, 

Thank you for your reply. I will wait here for you.

Bests, 

Wednesday, October 30, 2019 8:45 AM