none
How Can the Shadow Service Settings Be Restored to the Default Settings? RRS feed

• General discussion

• The Question  --  After making adjustments to my Shadow Service settings, I am doubtful as to whether the settings are adequate for saving Windows restore points.  As I recall, the adjustments I made were intended to reduce the amount of disk space reserved for use by the Shadow Service.  In addition, under Services, I see that my system has the Volume Shadow Service Startup Type set to Manual.  Is that normal?  How can I restore the original default settings, please?

Background  --  I mistakenly thought the Windows Shadow Service was a built-in Windows 7 utility for users who may want to keep and recover older versions of files they might have accidentally deleted.  I had no idea the service was also used by the system's recovery utilities.  Since I use a good backup strategy (Windows Home Server) and I was disinterested in keeping older versions of data files on my system, I thought I might be able to save some disk space by reducing the amount of space reserved for use by the Shadow Service.

Later, though, I learned the Shadow Service does much more, such as supporting the Windows function that creates and saves restore points.

Now that I realize my error, is there a way I can make sure I've reserved sufficient space for the Shadow Service?

Additional Info  --  I'm running a fully updated copy of Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit.  I use two physical hard disk drives.  C: contains the OS and includes just some data.  E: is on the second hard disk drive and includes only data.

According to the System Properties > System Protection dialog:

• C: has protection On, the Restore system settings and previous versions of files radio button is selected, with 2% (37 GBytes) reserved, and 30 GBytes being used.
    • E: has protection Off.
    • The System Restore function indicates I have a total of 13 previous restore points saved/available.

Do you feel this configuration is safe/adequate? If not, perhaps you can advise how to restore the default settings.

Thanks in advance.

Tony M.

Thursday, June 20, 2013 2:44 AM

All replies

• Hi,

There is no problem on your computer. It is normal. In my option, this configuration is quite enough.

Thanks.

Tracy Cai
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, June 24, 2013 2:45 AM
  • Thank you for replying, Tracy.  I was hoping I had reserved sufficient space, but I just wasn't sure.

Thank you again and good day.

Tony

Tuesday, June 25, 2013 12:49 PM