none
Is it possible to apply EOP with DLP scanning to outbound SMTP sending? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm having trouble confirming whether or not layering Exchange Online Protection (Exchange Enterprise CAL with Services, specifically) to our Exchange 2016 server will accomplish the goal of scanning outbound SMTP/relay mail for DLP policy violations.

We're currently a hybrid setup between Exchange 2016 and Office 365.

All mailboxes live in O365. Exchange 2016 is still alive to accommodate a number of custom apps that require anonymous SMTP sending to internal and external recipients and a few other things.

Exchange 2016 has a send connector that routes all non O365 mail to a 3rd party smart host for DLP scanning. The goal is to move away from the 3rd party but still ensure that outbound non-O365 email is scanned for DLP.

My *hunch* is that the correct EOP license *could possibly* work but I'm looking for input if this is a feasible solution and how I could get it to work or if there is a better solution out there.

Thanks for making it this far. :)

Thursday, November 29, 2018 5:39 PM

All replies

• Hi Anna,

Yes, it is possible but for your scenario we should use O365 to send the outbound message from your custom apps, then the message will be route through EOP with DLP scanning.

Below are three options:

Option 1 (recommended): Authenticate your device or application directly with an Office 365 mailbox, and send mail using SMTP client submission
    Option 2: Send mail directly from your printer or application to Office 365 (direct send)
    Option 3: Configure a connector to send mail using Office 365 SMTP relay

For more details, see How to set up a multifunction device or application to send email using Office 365 .

Note: We still need the Hybrid environment since it is always recommended to retain at least one on-premises server in your environment.

Regards,

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Friday, November 30, 2018 9:40 AM
  • Just checking in to see if above information was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Regards, 

Manu Meng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to shareexplore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Tuesday, December 4, 2018 10:02 AM