none
PQ: How can I keep Colour Coding from Source (xlsx) Files? RRS feed

• Question

• Dear Power Query Fans,

today I would like to ask you a question. I am working on a Project which includes merging a bunch of similar, but not identical xlsx files from a folder using Power Query. I am facing a Problem which I could not solve using Google search, which is why I am sharing it here.

The Merging of the Source Files to a consolidated table is working just fine, but the Source files actually contain colour coding (e.g. rows with a specific applied colour which are not coming from any conditional formatting but manual work) and hence will be lost during my query.

If you wanted to Keep the colour coding exactly how it is in the source files, how would you try to solve this Problem? Please let me know in case you need more Information and thanks a lot for any help, it is very much appreciated :)

BR,
    Pat

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 7:02 AM

Answers

All replies

• what I've seen some people do is create a macro that adds a new column to the workbook and sets the specific color for that row as a text value. Other than that, there's no way with Power Query to read the metadata of each cell.
    Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:06 AM
  • Hello Miguel,

thanks for a first hint, might be feasible solution for my Problem. Will give an update during the week if I could fix it :)

BR,
    Pat

Tuesday, November 6, 2018 10:36 AM