none
Building a CSV from an existing iSCSI (san) RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help, I currently have a server 2008R2 standard installation running Hypervisor on with an iSCSI data volume on a SAN. I have also just built a Hypervisor servercore server on which I am planning on moving the VMs to before rebuilding the standard server as a hypervisor servercore to give us CSV and live migration aswell as some load balancing.

My question is can i promote my current iSCSI Volume to a Cluster Shared Volume between these two servers or do I have to reformat it and loose the data? I understand i need a second smaller volume on the same LUN and this is easy enough to do but all the guides talk about reformatting the main volume and ideally I'd like not to have to do this as it's lots of data to move around plus rebuilding failover and volume replication!

Thanks guys

Thursday, March 10, 2011 4:21 PM

Answers

• You don't need to reformat anything.
    Anton
    Proud member of <a href="http://www.starwindsoftware.com">iSCSI</a> SAN community.

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help, I currently have a server 2008R2 standard installation running Hypervisor on with an iSCSI data volume on a SAN. I have also just built a Hypervisor servercore server on which I am planning on moving the VMs to before rebuilding the standard server as a hypervisor servercore to give us CSV and live migration aswell as some load balancing.

My question is can i promote my current iSCSI Volume to a Cluster Shared Volume between these two servers or do I have to reformat it and loose the data? I understand i need a second smaller volume on the same LUN and this is easy enough to do but all the guides talk about reformatting the main volume and ideally I'd like not to have to do this as it's lots of data to move around plus rebuilding failover and volume replication!

Thanks guys

• Marked as answer by BigMuppetMan Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:01 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:24 PM

All replies

• You don't need to reformat anything.
    Anton
    Proud member of <a href="http://www.starwindsoftware.com">iSCSI</a> SAN community.

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some help, I currently have a server 2008R2 standard installation running Hypervisor on with an iSCSI data volume on a SAN. I have also just built a Hypervisor servercore server on which I am planning on moving the VMs to before rebuilding the standard server as a hypervisor servercore to give us CSV and live migration aswell as some load balancing.

Thanks guys

• Marked as answer by BigMuppetMan Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:01 AM
    Friday, March 11, 2011 4:24 PM
  • Thanks thats Great! can i also ask, can i make the volume i am currently using cluster shared between the servercore server and the windows r2 server or do they both need to be servercore?
    Monday, March 21, 2011 5:15 PM