Discovering Styles RRS feed

• Question

• I have some software which is generating word documents for me. I need to take these documents and apply place my own formatting to it. Unfortunately, the documents generated are not formatted using styles, just individually selected colours, fonts etc. Is there a way for word to 'discover' the different styles in use so that I can then modify these efficiently without having to individually change the colours throughout the documents?

Hope that made sense. Perhaps too obscure a question with no answer but thought it'd be worth a shot.

Any help greatly appreciated :)

Monday, June 23, 2014 7:43 PM

Answers

• If the process that generates the document doesn't use Styles for the various attributes, there are no Styles to 'discover'. Presumably, everything would be in just one Style. Of course, if headings, for example, have a particular character format that isn't used anywhere else, you could use Find/Replace to replace all instances of that format with a nominated paragraph Style (e.g. the 'Heading 1' Style). Likewise, you might be able to use Find/Replace to apply character Styles to ranges having particular font formats within a paragraph. More sophisticated treatments based on paragraph-level formatting (e.g. indents, auto-numbering, before/after spacing, etc.) could be incorporated into a macro that applies an appropriate Style.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by FIM-EN Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:14 AM

All replies

• If the process that generates the document doesn't use Styles for the various attributes, there are no Styles to 'discover'. Presumably, everything would be in just one Style. Of course, if headings, for example, have a particular character format that isn't used anywhere else, you could use Find/Replace to replace all instances of that format with a nominated paragraph Style (e.g. the 'Heading 1' Style). Likewise, you might be able to use Find/Replace to apply character Styles to ranges having particular font formats within a paragraph. More sophisticated treatments based on paragraph-level formatting (e.g. indents, auto-numbering, before/after spacing, etc.) could be incorporated into a macro that applies an appropriate Style.

Cheers
    Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

• Marked as answer by FIM-EN Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:23 AM
    Tuesday, June 24, 2014 2:14 AM
  • Hi Paul. I had no idea find and replace could be complex enough to search and replace font formatting. That answers the question and is working perfectly.

Thanks very much for your help! 

Tuesday, June 24, 2014 7:23 AM