locked
email attachments filename too long. Attachments arrive with filename renamed as ATT* and files are now .dat and .htm files RRS feed

  • Question

  • iphone 4 forwarded .docx or .pdf files.  In Outlook, they appear as .dat and .htm files AND the files are renamed as ATT*    If I reduce the filenames to less than 65 characters, then they are all ok.  Is there a config on the exchange server to increase this limit?  Am using exchange 2003.  I've also tested this on an exchange 2010 server, and it doesn't have this issue. 
    Friday, September 28, 2012 9:13 PM

All replies

  • Hi

    I could not find any article talking about the limt of attachment forwarding by Iphone.

    Please try to send an attachment via outllook to see whether it cause the same result.

    Cheers


    Zi Feng

    TechNet Community Support

    Monday, October 1, 2012 8:22 AM
    Moderator
  • Forwarding from Outlook does not cause the same result.  Forwarding from an Android device or Blackberry device does not cause the same result either.   
    Monday, October 1, 2012 11:05 PM
  • Hi,

    This sounds like it's probably a limitation on filename size or the file name is getting wrapped. Try saving and changing their extensions back to .docs and .pdf in Outlook and see if they open.


    Miguel Fra | Falcon IT Services, Miami, FL
    www.falconitservices.com | www.falconits.com | Blog

    Monday, October 1, 2012 11:22 PM
  • Yes, The .dat files after being renamed, are the .docx, .pdf, or even .pptx files.  The receiver doesn't know what they are or what their original file names are. 

    Is there some config that can be modified on the exchange 2003 server which will allow attachments with filenames longer than 65 characters to pass through as is?  I've tested with an exchange 2010 server and the attachments come thru fine.  No filename or file type conversion occuring. 

    Tuesday, October 2, 2012 12:11 AM
  • Hi Justin,

    Based on my experience and research, on the Exchange server side, we do not have this kind of limitation. This looks like an iOS's problem Exchange 2003 could not but Exchange 2010 could handle . Maybe you could try to contact Apple and see if they could offer any help.

    The content conversion of Exchange 2003 and 2010 have many differences. On the Exchange side, our suggestion is: 

    If you have both Exchange 2003 and 2010 servers in your organization, we suggest you to move the users who have this kind of demand to the Exchange 2010 server, or suggest your Exchange 2003 users to use shorter names.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    Thursday, October 4, 2012 6:24 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Justin,

    Any update on this issue? Please feel free to let us know if you have any questions or update on this issue.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:09 AM
    Moderator
  • Am going to try to make a few minor changes to the Internet Message Format on 2003 Exchange server and see if it helps.  Will know at the end of the week.  Thanks!
    Tuesday, October 9, 2012 1:22 AM
  • Hi Justin,

    Thank you for your reply, we would wait for your update then.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:06 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Justin,

    Any update on this thread? Please let me know if you need any assistance or have any questions.

    Thanks,

    Andy

    Thursday, October 18, 2012 12:43 AM
    Moderator
  • <<Ping>> Any update on this? I have a high level management employee with this issue and am looking at a way to resolve this problem.

    Thanks,

    Dustin

    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:08 PM
  • Tried a couple changes in Internet Message Formats but nothing made a difference.  We are moving on............  Will be moving to Exchang 2010 shortly.
    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:47 PM
  • Thanks. Unfortunately I don't have that luxury right now, but I'll just reiterate what I told him to do once I found out about this issue. Just save it locally then rename the file to something much shorter. That or send it outside of the iOS.

    Tuesday, November 27, 2012 8:51 PM
  • When the file name is longer than 64 characters, the iOS email client cut it in 2 parts and adds *0 and *1 at te end of the name tag in the email header.

    Outlook seams to not able to process name*0= and name*1=

    Example:

    Content-Type: application/octet-stream;
     name*0="Fork Vertical Calibration UMT - Sxxxx Cxxxxxx Texas (1) { 2017-0";
     name*1="7-19 } { 09-27-18 }.sda";


    Wednesday, July 19, 2017 1:59 PM