none
Bare Metal Recovery - inconsistent RRS feed

• Question

• Using DPM 2012 Beta and testing protection of a single server.  The protected server is a Hyper-V machine running Windows Server Standard Core 2008 R2.  The Bare Metal Recovery and System State protection are always listed as "Replica is inconsistent".  Running Perform Consistency Check gets the same results within about 20-30 seconds.  Nothing in event log on protected server or DPM server.  

I'm sure I'm missing something simple.  Any suggestions on how to get this replica consistent?

Rob

Rob
    • Moved by Larry Yin Wednesday, March 28, 2012 11:14 PM (From:DPM 2012 Beta - Locked)
    Saturday, November 12, 2011 11:11 PM

Answers

• Since we're testing...I removed all protection groups.  I created a new protection group just to do the BMR and System State of a protected server.  The DPM server quickly achieved a status of "OK" for the BMR and System State within the UI.  But when I went to choose Recovery Point to create one, it reported it couldn't because the replica was inconsistent.  A quick refresh showed the replicata to be inconsistent again.

The protected server did show an error in the event log.  It was Source=Backup, ID=546, The backup operation attempted at '‎2011‎-‎11‎-‎15T15:30:38.599600400Z' has failed to start, error code '2155348040' (There is not enough free space on the backup storage location to back up the data.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.  Since the BMR is streamed directly to DPM then it made sense it was an issue on the DPM allocation.

Changed the disk allocation on the DPM server to 500GB which is more than the used disk space on the protected server.  Re-ran the consistency check and the backup appears to be in progress.

It seems like the estimate for the DPM volume size was off, and that the volume was not grown automatically fast enough.  i noticed the volume was grown after each try, but by a certain amount.  I suspect this is more related to understanding what is in the BMR and how we can make sure enough space is allocated.

I'm sure the BMR doesn't need 500GB...but at least now I know the issue.

Rob
    • Marked as answer by ip-rob Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:41 PM

All replies

• Hi Rob,

The Alert gives the Steps to be taken to enable Bare Matel Recovery.

Please perform the steps and let me know if it doesn't solve the problem.

Regards

Mukul Shekhawat

This posting is provided AS IS, with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    • Marked as answer by ip-rob Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:45 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by ip-rob Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:27 PM
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:23 PM
  • Thanks...getting used to the notification and UI.  The alert indicated it needed disk space allocated to complete successfully but the automatically grow partition was already selected.  The value was the one DPM set when initially configuring the protection.  Seems like it should have allocated enough space and then why wouldn't it grow things automatically to accommodate the backup?

Rob
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 5:39 PM
  • This isn't the issue.  I increased the disk space and here are the details showing the disk usage:

Replica volume: 200.00 GB allocated, 95.98 MB used | Recovery point volume: 5.00 GB allocated, 46.70 MB used

So 200GB is allocated with only 95MB used.  There are no space issues but DPM is reporting that there are.

Any other suggestions?

Rob
    Sunday, November 13, 2011 6:29 PM
  • Looks like not even single recovery point is created, do you have windows Server backup installed on the Protected server machine?
    Thanks, Praveen D [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 9:41 AM
  • Windows backup and command-line tools are installed on the protected machine.  How much space would you expect the BMR to use for a basic 2008 R2 install?  The system state is less than 1GB...are the OS files included in the BMR backup set too?  Is there a way I can emulate the backup on the protected server to see how much space is required?
    Rob
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 1:52 PM
  • Since we're testing...I removed all protection groups.  I created a new protection group just to do the BMR and System State of a protected server.  The DPM server quickly achieved a status of "OK" for the BMR and System State within the UI.  But when I went to choose Recovery Point to create one, it reported it couldn't because the replica was inconsistent.  A quick refresh showed the replicata to be inconsistent again.

The protected server did show an error in the event log.  It was Source=Backup, ID=546, The backup operation attempted at '‎2011‎-‎11‎-‎15T15:30:38.599600400Z' has failed to start, error code '2155348040' (There is not enough free space on the backup storage location to back up the data.). Please review the event details for a solution, and then rerun the backup operation once the issue is resolved.  Since the BMR is streamed directly to DPM then it made sense it was an issue on the DPM allocation.

Changed the disk allocation on the DPM server to 500GB which is more than the used disk space on the protected server.  Re-ran the consistency check and the backup appears to be in progress.

It seems like the estimate for the DPM volume size was off, and that the volume was not grown automatically fast enough.  i noticed the volume was grown after each try, but by a certain amount.  I suspect this is more related to understanding what is in the BMR and how we can make sure enough space is allocated.

I'm sure the BMR doesn't need 500GB...but at least now I know the issue.

Rob
    • Marked as answer by ip-rob Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:41 PM
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 4:41 PM