none
Project Professional 2016:Baslining Master Project RRS feed

• Question

• I find that we have to baseline sub projects and then only it reflects in master project. In master project itself I could not create a baseline ( I could not see the graphics of grey bar though the system did not give any error message). Is that a limitation of the software? Is there a way to overcome the same?  Thanks in advance.

Ulhas Samant

Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:38 AM

All replies

• Ulhas Samant,

In order to understand why you can't baseline a dynamic master directly, you need to understand what a dynamic master really is. A dynamic master does not actually contain each of the subprojects inserted into it, rather, the master contains pointers to each of the subproject files. This is evidenced by the fact that the task ID numbers for each subproject are unique to each subproject. The only tasks that are actually part of the master are the summary line insertion points for each subproject, and any tasks that may be added directly at master level. As such, when you set a baseline at master level, that baseline only applies to tasks that are actually part of the master.

Is that a limitation of the software? Well, I wouldn't call it a limitation, it is simply the way it works given the file structure.

Is there a way to "overcome" this? Yes, set baselines at subproject level. Or, if you don't really need a dynamic master, (and having one opens the user up to possible file corruption), create a static master instead (i.e. un-check the "link to project" option in the lower right corner of the Insert Project window). In a static master, a snapshot in time of each subproject IS inserted into the master, so all tasks now belong to the master. However, a static master is not linked to any of the subprojects so making a change will not be reflected to the individual subproject files.

Hope this helps.

John

Saturday, September 17, 2016 3:11 PM