Windows 7 Can't add new file on USB/Network Drive with Context menu?? RRS feed

• Question

• When i right-click on local drive,the context menu can add New folder,new Word ,excel,text...etc files.
    but when the same right-click on network drive or usb drive, context menu can only add new folder,
    the menu of add new files are hidden.

Without the context menu,it is very inconvenient to add new file on the exactly folder i want.

How to show the full function context menu on all drive(local,USB,network,and all other device)??
    Monday, December 21, 2009 6:48 AM

Answers

• I found the symptom is the same as right-click on Boot Disk's root Directory,
    but it shouldn't happen on USB/Network drive.(In fact,i don't like win7's design to block the action on Boot disk either)

Last night, i tried again without any related change.I even not tried change IE's security settings(Maybe reboot one or two times on these days)
    And the problem suddenlly disappear. All things become normal.

I still don't know why it happened,and how it return normal.
    I didn't join domain,this is a new laptop just bought on 11/28,
    and I use asus-recovery-disc to recover the system on 12/18.
    The problem remains after revocery.

It is really weired.
    (althongh it is not weired to found something weired in windows's world...)

I think there is something of policy or registry to block the context menu under some circumstances,
    maybe someone knows that can explain how to avoid such problem.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 3:08 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:17 AM

All replies

• Can you copy files to the usb disks without problems ?

Might be that there is a GPO in place that stops you from copying files to unsafe places.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:03 PM
  • Yes, I can copy files to those USB/network disks.
    And this(copy files) is the only way i can add new files to those disks.
    I can't add new empty files with context menu.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 2:17 AM
  • Here are some things you can try:

1. Reset IE7

1) Click Start button-> Control Panel .

2) Change to Classic View on the left pane and double-click the Internet Options icon.

3) On the Security tab, click Default level button for each icon in the Select a zone to view or change security settings .

4) Click to Programs tab, and then click the Make default button if it is not grayed out.

5) Click to Advanced tab, click Restore advanced settings button in the Settings area.

6) Click the Reset button in the Reset Internet Explorer settings area and Click OK .

7) Click Apply , and then click OK .

2. Terminate third-party conflicts

Run Windows Safe Mode 

1) Detach all unnecessary peripheral devices from your computer, such as printers, scanners and removable storage devices.

2) Restart the computer.

3) Keep pressing the F8 key until the Windows Startup menu appears.

4) Choose Safe Mode with Networking , and press Enter .

5) Test the issue in Safe Mode to see if the issue still exists.

Note : In Safe Mode, your system display and Desktop will look and perform differently than in Normal Mode. This is only temporary.

If the issue does not occur in safe mode, let’s try a Clean Boot to test the issue.

Start Windows in Clean Boot mode

Note : You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group to complete this procedure.

1) Click Start .

2) Copy and paste "msconfig " (without the quotation marks) in the Start Search box, and click Enter .

3) Switch to Services tab and then Check Hide All Microsoft Services .

4) Click Disable All .

5) Switch to the Startup tab and then Click Disable all .

6) Click OK .

7) Click Restart to restart the computer and test the issue.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009 10:52 AM
  • Hi,

I would like to confirm if you are in a domain. When this issue began to occur?

To troubleshoot this issue, please perform the following steps:

Enable built-in admin account

==============

1. Click Start, click "All Programs", please find and open "Accessories" folder.

2. Please right-click on "Command Prompt" item and select "Run as administrator".

3. Please type the following command line in to the coming window.

net user administrator /active:yes

Note: There is a space between "Administrator" and "/active:yes".

4. Log off and log on the Administrator account.

If the issue persists, use the following tool to check if any shell extension affects Windows Explorer:

Run ShellExView

=================

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/shexview.zip

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Items which are marked in pink in the list may have potential problems.

Hope it helps.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 3:23 AM
  • I found the symptom is the same as right-click on Boot Disk's root Directory,
    but it shouldn't happen on USB/Network drive.(In fact,i don't like win7's design to block the action on Boot disk either)

Last night, i tried again without any related change.I even not tried change IE's security settings(Maybe reboot one or two times on these days)
    And the problem suddenlly disappear. All things become normal.

I still don't know why it happened,and how it return normal.
    I didn't join domain,this is a new laptop just bought on 11/28,
    and I use asus-recovery-disc to recover the system on 12/18.
    The problem remains after revocery.

It is really weired.
    (althongh it is not weired to found something weired in windows's world...)

I think there is something of policy or registry to block the context menu under some circumstances,
    maybe someone knows that can explain how to avoid such problem.

• Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, December 28, 2009 3:08 AM
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Thank you for this update. It seems the problem resolved itself. Please keep monitoring it, if it reoccurs, please let us know and I will perform further research.
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 6:16 AM
  • Hello, I found the solution and wanted to share it:

I Googled if someone else had the same problem but after a few minutes I managed to fix mine (I couldn't create any files, just a folder, onto my external drive).

Here's what I did:

1. Right-click the problematic drive's icon in Computer, go to Properties
    2. Go to the Security tab
    3. With "Everyone" or a specific user chosen, click Edit...
    4. There again, having "Everyone" or a specific user chosen, check the box below saying Full control (which gives the rights to do different things - I just clicked Everyone and Everyone as I'm the only user) and click Ok
    5. It might ask if you want to continue with some files, just keep clicking Continue for every file

Hope this was of help!
    • Proposed as answer by Shravan S P Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:11 PM
    Saturday, February 13, 2010 11:44 PM
  • Hello, I found the solution and wanted to share it:

I Googled if someone else had the same problem but after a few minutes I managed to fix mine (I couldn't create any files, just a folder, onto my external drive).

Here's what I did:

1. Right-click the problematic drive's icon in Computer, go to Properties
    2. Go to the Security tab
    3. With "Everyone" or a specific user chosen, click Edit...
    4. There again, having "Everyone" or a specific user chosen, check the box below saying Full control (which gives the rights to do different things - I just clicked Everyone and Everyone as I'm the only user) and click Ok
    5. It might ask if you want to continue with some files, just keep clicking Continue for every file

Hope this was of help!
    That did the trick! Thanks for your help! But i seriously wonder why the attributes got changed by themselves...
    Sunday, October 17, 2010 9:12 PM