none
Server 2012 File Server Stops Responding to client Connections RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys,

I have a 2012 R2 two node Cluster running Hyper-V.

Fully patched and up to date via Windows update.

On this cluster I have lots of VM's running. (2003, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, 2012 R2)

The file server is running 2012 and fully updated as well.

This 2012 file server has been running happy for the last two years, but in the last month or so, it has stopped responding 3 different times to user connections. User home drives and profiles inaccessible.

Nothing in event logs and You can RDP to file server fine.

Other VM's in this cluster are unaffected.

only fix is to restart the VM File server.

I have followed this thread, but no real answers here...

edugeek.net/forums/windows-server-2012/126721-server-2012-file-server-suddenly-stops-serving-requests-but-otherwise-looks-fine-3

Any ideas?

Thxs Chris

• Edited by ChrisClaydon Wednesday, February 3, 2016 1:43 AM update
    Wednesday, February 3, 2016 12:08 AM

All replies

• Hello Chris,

Thanks for your post. According to your post that user home drives and profiles inaccessible it looks like a network issue.

Did you try to access the server via \\servername\path or \\ServerIPAddress ? If you are able to access via ip address but not path then I would suggest you to check with the DNS records and the firewall settings.

Best Regards,

Elaine

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:34 AM
  • Hi Elaine,

Thxs for your input.

It only effects some users at random and nothing can get the access back other that a server restart.

connection via server name or IP address for these users makes no difference.  

If you do a Google search on the following, you see the issues that I'm seeing.

"server 2012 file server stops responding to client connections smb"

Sorry your system here wont let me paste in WEB links...?

Regs Chris

Wednesday, February 3, 2016 8:52 PM