none
Merged Table Column Becomes Null when Expanded RRS feed

• Question

• I have a count of records per username, that I merged with a "agents" table to get their real full name.  If you click the cell before expanding, the preview area below shows the merge is successful and I can preview the info in the other table for that agent.  Notice "Agent Name" (3rd column) is a present string.

But when I expand this column to show that in my merge, the value becomes null.

Hopefully this little GIF animation works...

Click to enlarge

Shawn Keene

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 1:29 PM

Answers

• I typed out the reply below before I tested it (d'oh), and it's exactly as I thought. Heck, just clicking "Refresh Preview" in the ribbon fixed it right up.  I'm dumb :)

---

I don't understand how or why the rows changing order is (1) occurring and (2) means anything significant, but I'm definitely willing to work along it if you think you can help get to the bottom of it.

When I first do the join and see the new column show up showing "Table" in every row, I can click that row and see the join worked properly and the employee's full name (Destin Sims) shows up matched to the record of "dsims". But when I expand that full name column to bring it into my query, it changes to null as if her record couldn't in fact be matched.

Could it be a case where one query is refreshed but the other is working off of cached data?  Maybe I should have finished the query and saved/loaded into my workbook to see the actual final results. It wouldn't be the first time I let cached preview data confuse me.

Shawn Keene

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:56 PM

All replies

• This looks like a bug.

Only thing I could imagine is that the records are actually different. Power Query often doesn't keep the sort-order (and in your example the row number is different). So could it be that these are actually different records?

Imke Feldmann TheBIccountant.com

Tuesday, April 12, 2016 7:28 PM
  • I second Imke's suggestion. If you look at the surrounding records, you'll see that the names change after expanding. This definitely suggests that the sort order has changed as a result of the join.

Otherwise, to get further suggestions, please paste the entire text of your query into a response.

Friday, April 15, 2016 2:13 PM
  • I typed out the reply below before I tested it (d'oh), and it's exactly as I thought. Heck, just clicking "Refresh Preview" in the ribbon fixed it right up.  I'm dumb :)

---

I don't understand how or why the rows changing order is (1) occurring and (2) means anything significant, but I'm definitely willing to work along it if you think you can help get to the bottom of it.

When I first do the join and see the new column show up showing "Table" in every row, I can click that row and see the join worked properly and the employee's full name (Destin Sims) shows up matched to the record of "dsims". But when I expand that full name column to bring it into my query, it changes to null as if her record couldn't in fact be matched.

Could it be a case where one query is refreshed but the other is working off of cached data?  Maybe I should have finished the query and saved/loaded into my workbook to see the actual final results. It wouldn't be the first time I let cached preview data confuse me.

Shawn Keene

Monday, April 18, 2016 1:56 PM