App-V sequencing RRS feed

• Question

• Hi Guys

i will be sequecing (virtualising) few applications using app-v sequencer. I have read the guide and it says that 'sequence on the system with all the apps installed'.

or should i use a clean system (windows without anything) to sequence apps.

If i install an OS from an image (.wim file), it doesnt seem to install app-v sequencer very well, probably as so many other apps are already there on the image and it is interfering,  i havent done much troubleshooting yet, but i though some of you might have done this before.

Or can i install apps manually on a installtion done from (windows cd) and not a .wim image from my  sccm server.

how would you do it? sequence without anything installed, using the image which u were using in production with all apps installed (.wim), or installing it from cd - installing the apps manually and then isequence?

thanks

techie

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 3:54 PM

Answers

• In my experience, sequencing on an exact copy of your standard image is not ideal, especially if you have things such as Group Policy or roaming profiles being applied to the machine.

I generally recommend sequencing on a virtual machine that is running a configuration that is as close to your standard image as possible; however it is wise to perhaps leave some stuff out. Here's my general process or building a sequencing machine which could be performed manually or automated:

1. Install Windows - do not add the machine to the domain (i.e. leave it in a workgroup configuration)

2. Install the virtual machine additions / drivers for which ever platform your are using (use shared folders to get source files into your virtual machine via the host)

3. Keep Windows Firewall and UAC on. My preference is to avoid installing anti-virus and disable Windows Defender. It's too much hasle, just don't browse the Internet on your sequencing machine and ensure AV is enabled on your host

4. Install the prerequistes / redistributables / runtimes that will be on your standard image, this would include:

• .NET Frameworks
    • Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 Runtimes
    • DirectX
    • Flash, Silverlight etc

(Other runtimes, such as Java, Visual Basic and Crystal Reports would be candidates for sequencing. Do install Office applications in the sequencing machine when sequencing an application that has Office as a dependency)

5. Install the App-V Sequencer

6. Run Windows Update to get all of the latest critical and important updates. Keep the Sequencing image up to date; however set Windows Update to never install any updates so that it does not interfere with sequencing

7. Disable System Restore / System Protection

8. Follow the recommendations in the sequencing guide (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/App-45_Sequencing_Guide_Final.docx), e.g. ODBC connections, printer etc

9. Take a snapshot of your clean sequencer.

Test your sequences on a standard image (I also like testing on a manually built machine), if your sequence does not execute correctly on your standard build, then you've probably got some unknowns in the standard build - you'll want to find out what that is.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:58 PM

All replies

• In my experience, sequencing on an exact copy of your standard image is not ideal, especially if you have things such as Group Policy or roaming profiles being applied to the machine.

I generally recommend sequencing on a virtual machine that is running a configuration that is as close to your standard image as possible; however it is wise to perhaps leave some stuff out. Here's my general process or building a sequencing machine which could be performed manually or automated:

1. Install Windows - do not add the machine to the domain (i.e. leave it in a workgroup configuration)

2. Install the virtual machine additions / drivers for which ever platform your are using (use shared folders to get source files into your virtual machine via the host)

3. Keep Windows Firewall and UAC on. My preference is to avoid installing anti-virus and disable Windows Defender. It's too much hasle, just don't browse the Internet on your sequencing machine and ensure AV is enabled on your host

4. Install the prerequistes / redistributables / runtimes that will be on your standard image, this would include:

• .NET Frameworks
    • Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 Runtimes
    • DirectX
    • Flash, Silverlight etc

(Other runtimes, such as Java, Visual Basic and Crystal Reports would be candidates for sequencing. Do install Office applications in the sequencing machine when sequencing an application that has Office as a dependency)

5. Install the App-V Sequencer

6. Run Windows Update to get all of the latest critical and important updates. Keep the Sequencing image up to date; however set Windows Update to never install any updates so that it does not interfere with sequencing

7. Disable System Restore / System Protection

8. Follow the recommendations in the sequencing guide (http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/7/8/f784a197-73be-48ff-83da-4102c05a6d44/App-45_Sequencing_Guide_Final.docx), e.g. ODBC connections, printer etc

9. Take a snapshot of your clean sequencer.

Test your sequences on a standard image (I also like testing on a manually built machine), if your sequence does not execute correctly on your standard build, then you've probably got some unknowns in the standard build - you'll want to find out what that is.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010 7:58 PM
  • I will try and follow this comprehensive - guide.

Thanks

Wednesday, April 28, 2010 7:06 AM
  • My preferences, and suggestion, follow Aaron's.  The exceptions of where I would have applications installed on my otherwise clean sequencer is if an application is a pre-requisite for my soon-to-be-sequenced application that will be locally installed on client workstations, or if it is a dependency for the application to be sequenced.  By this, I mean, if I was installing a plug-in for Excel, I would have Excel/Office locally installed to Q on the Sequencer.

Steve Bucci
    Tuesday, May 18, 2010 2:30 AM
  • Aaron,

I'm trying to clear up what should be best practice when sequencing with app-v.  I'm working on getting the sequencing image up to date so I can take a snapshot and clone it.  Should the gpo's in the environment be applied to the image prior to sequencing?  Or should the GPO's only be applied to test machines once the applications have been sequenced?

Thanks!

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:15 PM
  • Definitely don't include GP settings in the sequencing machine image. Ensure there's as little pollution in the image (e.g. no policies, no AV etc) as possible.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010 12:35 PM