none
Risk & Issue Register Forms - Category RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

Can anyone provide me the list of common categories we should provide for Risk & Issue register forms in the project site ? Right now it is showing default Category 1, Category 2 ...

and also do i need to change the drop down values as part of project site template change ? or any other way i can update these column for all of project sites?

Thanks in advance

Ravishankar

Thanks & Regards
    Ravishankar Polepalli (MCP,MCC)
    Microsoft Dynamics, Project Server and SharePoint Server Consultant
    ravi.polepalli@gmail.com

Friday, September 14, 2012 10:35 PM

Answers

• Ravishankar --

The correct list of Category items depends entirely on the needs of your organization for tracking Risks and Issues.  An example of items you might include on the Category list includes:  Internal, External, and Mixed.  This list refers to the source of the Risk or the Issue.  Is the source internal to our organization, outside of our organization, or a little bit of both?  So, there is no list of common Category items; it all depends on how your organization needs to manage Risks and Issues.

And yes, once you create a new Project Site that is NOT connected to any project, and then you modify the Category list for Risks and the Category list for Issues, you will need to save your Project Site as the Site Template for your Project Server system.  Keep in mind, however, that doing this WILL NOT update any existing Project Sites.  You would need to modify each of them individually.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:53 AM
  • HI Ravi,

I would also like to second Dale's response that Risk categories can be best defined based on the needs organization for which you are implementing EPM.

to give you a quick start, you can categorize Risks based on External, Internal, Cost, Stakeholders, Scope etc. etc.. You can list down each risk under such categories, and can prioritize them based on their exposure value.

Usually in such scenarios where Issue and Risk register needs to be customized, i prefer to manage them centrally using content type management. you can follow my blog relate to the same here

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:06 AM

All replies

• Ravishankar --

The correct list of Category items depends entirely on the needs of your organization for tracking Risks and Issues.  An example of items you might include on the Category list includes:  Internal, External, and Mixed.  This list refers to the source of the Risk or the Issue.  Is the source internal to our organization, outside of our organization, or a little bit of both?  So, there is no list of common Category items; it all depends on how your organization needs to manage Risks and Issues.

And yes, once you create a new Project Site that is NOT connected to any project, and then you modify the Category list for Risks and the Category list for Issues, you will need to save your Project Site as the Site Template for your Project Server system.  Keep in mind, however, that doing this WILL NOT update any existing Project Sites.  You would need to modify each of them individually.

Hope this helps.

Dale A. Howard [MVP]
    VP of Educational Services
    msProjectExperts
    http://www.msprojectexperts.com
    http://www.projectserverexperts.com
    "We write the books on Project Server"

Saturday, September 15, 2012 1:53 AM
  • HI Ravi,

I would also like to second Dale's response that Risk categories can be best defined based on the needs organization for which you are implementing EPM.

to give you a quick start, you can categorize Risks based on External, Internal, Cost, Stakeholders, Scope etc. etc.. You can list down each risk under such categories, and can prioritize them based on their exposure value.

Usually in such scenarios where Issue and Risk register needs to be customized, i prefer to manage them centrally using content type management. you can follow my blog relate to the same here

hope this helps.

Khurram Jamshed - MBA, PMP, MCTS, MCITP ( Blog, Twitter, Linkedin )

Monday, September 17, 2012 8:06 AM