none
Exchange2013: ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Sender not working with FrontendTransport

Question

• Hi everybody,

we are implementing a MX Exchange 2013 (CU 2) as the first Exchange server in the organization.

A ReceiveConnector for connections from our LAN network should allow authenticated users to send mails as any sender string. The solution I found here and elsewhere on the net seems to be simple:

Add-ADPermission -identity smtp-lan-relay -user "nt-autorität\anonymous-anmeldung" -extendedrights "ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Any-Sender"
    Add-ADPermission -identity smtp-lan-relay -user "nt-autorität\anonymous-anmeldung" -extendedrights "ms-Exch-SMTP-Accept-Authoritative-Domain-Sender"

Unfortunately it is not working with FrontendTransports!
    If I delete the connector and set it up as HubTransport it works!

Now my questions:

• is that a known issue / bug or a wanted behaviour?
    • is there any disadvantage if I am running the connector as Hubtransport instead of FrontendTransport (as it should be)?

Thanks a lot for your help!

Thursday, July 11, 2013 2:24 PM

Answers

All replies

• Hi

It might be a known issue and I Found a similar thread

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/exchange/en-US/44b67f45-25cb-4496-b8e0-c94d55c98281/authentication-changes-2013-on-receive-connector

It used the same workaround as yours

To create a new receive connector and define it as a Hub Transport and not a Front-End Transport.

I dont think there will be any disadvantage.

Cheers

Zi Feng
    TechNet Community Support

• Marked as answer by blindzero Tuesday, July 16, 2013 6:58 AM
    Friday, July 12, 2013 6:41 AM
  • Hi Zi Feng,

thanks for your confirmation...known issues sounds as "bug" that should / will be fixed in the future?
    So I will change all my connectors to hub-transport in the meantime.

What I dont understand: if there is no disadvantage for me to set it as hub-transport I dont get the reason why there are different transport-roles at all...?!?

Thanks,

Matthias

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:08 AM
  • Not sure it will be fixed or not, please wait for the released notes.

In my point of view, change to hub transport is just a workaround due to this known issue, and it will take any bad effect, But these two settings should be different. 

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:41 AM
  • ... and it will take any bad effect, But these two settings should be different. 

Garen,

did you men will not take and bad effectt?

Because if there are bad effect, I would maybe not implement the workaround ;-)

Thanks,

Matthias

Friday, July 12, 2013 8:43 AM
  • Sorry, my mistake. I mean it will not.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 2:45 AM