help with messed up driver install/uninstall RRS feed

• Question

• Hello -

my ATA devices are as follow.  A HDD in primary IDE channel, and 2 optical drives in secondary channel.

Also, an SATA disk on the first SATA port.

I have a Vista Ultimate install, on a PC with an Nforce 410 (Nvida) chipset motherboard.

I have uninstalled the Nvidia drivers (storage , ethernet and SMBus) from the Programs and Features

Nvidia uninstall program.    Using the program MSINFO32 I see that the drivers nvstor.sys and nvstor32.sys are still loaded,

although the Nvida controller does not show under the device manager under the "IDE ata/atapi controllers:" section.

In there you can see the "standard dual channel PCI IDE controller,  ATA channel 0 and ATA channel 1.

Instead, I found nvstor32.sys showing up under "non-plug and play drivers", and nvstor.sys is in the section

"storage controllers" where it's listed as SCSI.  Something odd going on here - since the NVIDIA drivers have all been uninstalled.

These are left over from an old uninstall.  How can I clean these up?

• Moved by Carey FrischMVP Friday, April 27, 2012 1:45 AM Moved to more appropriate forum category (From:Windows Vista Setup)
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 11:29 AM

All replies

• "davexnet" wrote in message news:61212858-59d3-4b2e-a7a0-d361183c3a3b...

Hello -

my ATA devices are as follow.  A HDD in primary IDE channel, and 2 optical drives in secondary channel.

Also, an SATA disk on the first SATA port.

I have a Vista Ultimate install, on a PC with an Nforce 410 (Nvida) chipset motherboard.

I have uninstalled the Nvidia drivers (storage , ethernet and SMBus) from the Programs and Features

Nvidia uninstall program.    Using the program MSINFO32 I see that the drivers nvstor.sys and nvstor32.sys are still loaded,

although the Nvida controller does not show under the device manager under the "IDE ata/atapi controllers:" section.

In there you can see the "standard dual channel PCI IDE controller,  ATA channel 0 and ATA channel 1.

Instead, I found nvstor32.sys showing up under "non-plug and play drivers", and nvstor.sys is in the section

"storage controllers" where it's listed as SCSI.  Something odd going on here - since the NVIDIA drivers have all been uninstalled.

These are left over from an old uninstall.  How can I clean these up?

That's perfectly normal - they are the default drivers for that chipset, which are loaded by the system. If you check their properties, you'll find they are from MS, rather than nVidia.

You should install updated drivers, however, as it will improve performance noticeably.

Noel Paton | Nil Carborundum Illegitemi | CrashFixPC | The Three-toed Sloth
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 12:40 PM
  • Thanks for the info.  I reinstalled the Nvidia chipset driver (storage, ethernet and SMbus).

The installation was successful, the system is more responsive now.  I noticed that the

reference to "nvidia Nforce SATA controller" (nvstor32.sys) that was under "storage controllers" has disappeared,

and has now appeared in the "IDE ata/atapi controllers:" section., and it's using the driver version I just installed.

However, when showing hidden devices/non-plug and play, there is still an item, nvstor (nvstor.sys)

that shows code 45, "device not present".  This must be left over from something, because it's not the same

driver version as the one mentioned above.  This driver had a type "boot" and I changed it to "disabled".

That's how it is for now, and the system seems fine.  (I tried uninstalling it, it said it was successful, but it reappeared

after the next boot) and what is it doing in non-plug and play drivers?

The current version of the Nvidia drivers doesn't seem to use nvstor.sys as far as I can see.

Nvstor.sys appears to be the  MS driver, version 5.10.2600.833

• Edited by davexnet Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:50 PM
    Sunday, April 22, 2012 7:44 PM
  • Uninstall the driver from Device Manager, and reboot.

What does the system find? (if anything?)

Sunday, April 22, 2012 8:31 PM
  • There is no message that anything was found.  Before uninstalling, I set a restore point.

After rebooting, the device was missing from the device manager, but still shown as loaded in msinfo32 (but not started).

Here is the bit from setupapi that reflects the uninstall.  Not sure what to make of this.  For now,

I did a system restore; now it is in the device manager but disabled.

>>>  [Device Uninstall (Device Manager) - ROOT\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000]
    >>>  Section start 2012/04/23 16:43:06.824
          cmd: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc"
         dvi: {DIF_REMOVE} 16:43:06.824
         dvi:      No class installer for 'nvstor'
         dvi:      No CoInstallers found
         dvi:      Default installer: Enter 16:43:06.855
         dvi:           {Remove DEVICE}
         dvi:                InstanceID = 'ROOT\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000'
         dvi:                Devnode Status = 0x0180300b
         dvi:                CM_Query_And_Remove_Subtree_Ex returns 0x00000017
         dvi:                Devnode Status after CM_Query_And_Remove_Subtree_Ex = 0x0180300b
    !    dvi:                Query-removal was vetoed by Root\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000 (veto type 1: PNP_VetoLegacyDevice)
    !    dvi:                Setting needs reboot
    !    dvi:                Query-and-Remove failed: 0x17: CR_REMOVE_VETOED.
         dvi:                Device Instance uninstalled.
         dvi:           {Remove DEVICE exit (0x00000000)}
         dvi:      Default installer: Exit
         dvi: {DIF_REMOVE - exit(0x00000000)} 16:43:06.949
    <<<  Section end 2012/04/23 16:43:06.949
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

In the registry, I see a couple of references,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSTOR

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvstor

• Edited by davexnet Tuesday, April 24, 2012 12:10 AM
    Monday, April 23, 2012 11:50 PM
  • "davexnet" wrote in message news:97f9ba1a-01df-4110-9588-cb80316cc220...

There is no message that anything was found.  Before uninstalling, I set a restore point.

After rebooting, the device was missing from the device manager, but still shown as loaded in msinfo32 (but not started).

Here is the bit from setupapi that reflects the uninstall.  Not sure what to make of this.  For now,

I did a system restore; now it is in the device manager but disabled.

>>>  [Device Uninstall (Device Manager) - ROOT\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000]
    >>>  Section start 2012/04/23 16:43:06.824
          cmd: "C:\Windows\system32\mmc.exe" "C:\Windows\system32\devmgmt.msc"
         dvi: {DIF_REMOVE} 16:43:06.824
         dvi:      No class installer for 'nvstor'
         dvi:      No CoInstallers found
         dvi:      Default installer: Enter 16:43:06.855
         dvi:           {Remove DEVICE}
         dvi:                InstanceID = 'ROOT\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000'
         dvi:                Devnode Status = 0x0180300b
         dvi:                CM_Query_And_Remove_Subtree_Ex returns 0x00000017
         dvi:                Devnode Status after CM_Query_And_Remove_Subtree_Ex = 0x0180300b
    !    dvi:                Query-removal was vetoed by Root\LEGACY_NVSTOR\0000 (veto type 1: PNP_VetoLegacyDevice)
    !    dvi:                Setting needs reboot
    !    dvi:                Query-and-Remove failed: 0x17: CR_REMOVE_VETOED.
         dvi:                Device Instance uninstalled.
         dvi:           {Remove DEVICE exit (0x00000000)}
         dvi:      Default installer: Exit
         dvi: {DIF_REMOVE - exit(0x00000000)} 16:43:06.949
    <<<  Section end 2012/04/23 16:43:06.949
    <<<  [Exit status: SUCCESS]

In the registry, I see a couple of references,

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Enum\Root\LEGACY_NVSTOR

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\nvstor

Check again in Device Manager - this time enable viewing to Hidden devices.
    Uninstall ALL devices with entries marked with yellow or red 'flags'
    reboot again
    What happens?

Tuesday, April 24, 2012 6:46 PM
  • HI Noel,

I've activated device manager using an elevated CMD prompt and issued the following script:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    set devmgr_show_device_detals=1
    cd %SystemRoot%\System32
    start devmgmt.msc

Then selected "show hidden devices."  Nothing out of the ordinary to be seen,

no devices with  any "flags" at all.  To summarize, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia chipset driver

package.  Nvstor was  listed in the device manager as startup type boot ( file name nvstor.sys), but this file is not a part

of the packed just installed, nvstor32.sys is.  I've set it to startup "disabled"  and the system is none the worse for it.

Earlier, I uninstalled it from the device manager; the system rebooted and it was now not found in the DM.

However, it was listed in msinf032/drivers as loaded but stopped.  IS tyhis driver loading by some other mechanism?

Perhaps a legacy service?  WIll I have to edit the registry manually to remove it?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/dmnvstor2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/dmnvstor.jpg

• Edited by davexnet Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:35 PM
    Wednesday, April 25, 2012 8:33 PM
  • "davexnet" wrote in message news:bec1a1fd-525a-4785-bde8-f2c69a58d629...

HI Noel,

I've activated device manager using an elevated CMD prompt and issued the following script:

set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1
    set devmgr_show_device_detals=1
    cd %SystemRoot%\System32
    start devmgmt.msc

Then selected "show hidden devices."  Nothing out of the ordinary to be seen,

no devices with  any "flags" at all.  To summarize, I uninstalled and reinstalled the Nvidia chipset driver

package.  Nvstor was  listed in the device manager as startup type boot ( file name nvstor.sys), but this file is not a part

of the packed just installed, nvstor32.sys is.  I've set it to startup "disabled"  and the system is none the worse for it.

Earlier, I uninstalled it from the device manager; the system rebooted and it was now not found in the DM.

However, it was listed in msinf032/drivers as loaded but stopped.  IS tyhis driver loading by some other mechanism?

Perhaps a legacy service?  WIll I have to edit the registry manually to remove it?

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/401/dmnvstor2.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/440/dmnvstor.jpg

As I said earlier, nvstor.sys is part of the OS, not part of the NVidia driverset, even though it's an nVidia driver file.
    My Win7 install has 11 instances of this file present, currently - none of them loaded, according to DM (not surprising, this being an all-Intel machine).

It may be that something tripped the startup switch on the service (my Vista VM shows it as being Disabled) - possibly the original OEM install, if yours is a pre-installed machine, or by the need to load the driver during the initial install if not.

Wednesday, April 25, 2012 9:13 PM
  • OK Noel, thanks for your help.  I'm going to leave it as-is, since it's working well.

One last tidbit,, I searched \windows\inf looking for references to nvstor.sys, and the only

instances to be found was in two files, one called nvraid.inf and the other oem8.pnf.

Browsing both of these in Notepad, identifies them as being associated with Nvidia RAID.

That's curious, since I've never had a RAID installed.

• Edited by davexnet Saturday, April 28, 2012 6:39 AM
    Friday, April 27, 2012 9:12 PM