none
How can I make certain SCCM redistributes my content every time? RRS feed

• Question

• Guys I'm sorry if this is really rudimentary stuff but I am still just really confused and frustrated about content redistribution in SCCM. I am clearly still missing something need some clarification. So when I deploy an application I have a network share that houses my original source files and/or scripts. It is inevitable that these things will change over time. For example: I may have an install script that needs debugging that is already part of an existing deployment. Once I change the script I then need to be certain SCCM is pushing the changed script (not the previous version). I have really been strugging to find a way to do this and I am honestly perplexed that there does not seem to be an easy way to make it happen. This has been my process to (try) and get that to happen:

• Right-click the application and select properties and go to the "Content Locations" Tab.
    • Select the distribution points you want to update and remove them (with the remove button).
    • Click Apply, then OK to exit.
    • Right-click your application again and this time select "Distribute Content".
    • Hit next, select your content and hit next again to get to the "Content Destination" part of the wizard.
    • Click the "Add" button and use the drop down options to re-add your DPs or DP Groups.
    • Hit next twice to complete the wizard then click close.
    • Right-click the application and select properties and go back to the "Content Locations" Tab.
    • The DPs you deleted should be back. At this point I'll also hit the "Validate" and "Redistribute" buttons for extra insurance.

The problem is that this method seems to be flaky. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Also if the content has already gone out to the ccmcache folder on a local machines simply deleting it does not seem to work either. What am I doing wrong here? Am I supposed to recreate the deployment every time I update a single source file? Given how flexible SCCM is I simply can't believe that getting simple changes to source files to redistribute is really this difficult. Can somebody please spare me more headache and tell me where I'm going wrong here?

Thursday, September 13, 2012 7:26 PM

Answers

All replies

• I think I disagree with the basic premise stated above that "It is inevitable that these things will change over time" and the product team would also. Applications are immutable. If they changed, then you would create a new application and redeploy them with supersedence rules.

Having said that, I do think your scenario above, testing and validation of a script, is valid and does require this. How about using a script:  Redistribute Configuration Manager Client Upgrade Package (XXX00003)

Jason | http://blog.configmgrftw.com

Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:05 PM
  • @Jason - that script looks like it is for classic/legacy package/program (rather than AppModel)?

@ZeusABJ - perhaps a classic/legacy package/program might be a better choice for not-so-static-content?
    I'd say that a package such as MS Office would not change too frequently (well not in my environment), so that might suit the AppModel, but, a package with weekly changing data or config files, might not be such a great fit, and might suit classic/legacy instead.

AppModel is still kinda new...

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Edited by DonPick Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:38 PM
    Thursday, September 13, 2012 9:38 PM
  • Thanks for your replies guys.

So what I'm hearing is... AppModel in SCCM 2012 (yes that is what I am using) has no mechanism for identifying when you make a change to source files referenced by a deployment and then updating the content on distribution points with said changes? Such a change warrants the creation of a new application? That really seems like overkill to me. Especially given the fact that deployments may have very intricate settings associated with them. Does it really make sense to recreate them from scratch over and over again for small updates?Jason, I totally get what you mean about Applications being immutable but I also totally think there are cases where you'd want to just change your source files and have it update on your deployment point and not just in the case of scripts.

What about those times where you are testing a new application deployment and you need to make an adjustment to your source files. You test said adjustment and need to make another adjustment. Its really frustrating to not even know if your adjustments are even going out to your test machines until after the fact. I would expect this to be a standard element of SCCM administration (perhaps the SysAdmin equivalent of Developer code reuse) and I am just confused as to why this seems to be so difficult for me to achieve. I would expect it to be easy.

Side note - My above post is not a rant, I'm just saying that surely Microsoft has accounted for this and there has to be a way to do it. I'm just frustrated because I can't find it, lol!!!

• Edited by ZeusABJ Friday, September 14, 2012 1:27 AM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 1:27 AM
  • Well the way applications are designed to work is to ensure the application is available to the user, at the devices given.

Think the problem you face here is in the detection method. If you change the detection method to a new property when you update your source, the clients should trigger a re-install/update on the next application evaluation cycle if the currently installed doesnt match whats set in the application detection.

Could be a file version/msi code or something you change when you update the source.

Havent had too much time to experience with the behaviour of the application detection yet though.

Friday, September 14, 2012 6:55 AM
  • Changing the detection method would not help at all, because the DPs have to be updated to reflect the changes.
    Redistributing is easy and does not require to remove one or all DPs from the application. Just use "Update Content": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712694.aspx

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

• Marked as answer by ZeusABJ Friday, September 14, 2012 8:50 PM
    Friday, September 14, 2012 7:06 AM
  • Changing the detection method would not help at all, because the DPs have to be updated to reflect the changes.
    Redistributing is easy and does not require to remove one or all DPs from the application. Just use "Update Content": http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg712694.aspx

Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de

Torsten, you are the man! This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
    Friday, September 14, 2012 8:50 PM