drill down disable on charts created by custom MDX? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi, I have MS Office SharePoint 2007, PerformancePoint 2007, Windows Server 2008, IIS 6 and SQL Server Analysis Service 2008.

In my PerformancePoint 2007 Dashboard Designer, I crated new chart report and wrote custom MDX code. But when I deploy dashboard to SharePoint 2007 and right-click on chart "Drill Down" OR "Drill Up" is not apprearing. This drill-down feature is only apprearing when I just drag & drop columns to chart (no custom MDX code). Is any way I can make "Drill Down" feature available for custom MDX code?  (i.e. I can write Action at cube level but I don't want to do that!).

Any idea? Thanks.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 2:32 AM

Answers

• Hi Superdec,

I don't see any reason why you are opting to change MDX query behind the report.

You can drag:

[Last 8 Fortnights] on X-axis, Centre Hierarchy on Y-axis and [Usage %] on background

and the report should behave normally with context features. Here you need to note that drill down is not applicable on Calculated Measures, even at SSAS cube level. Apart from that you should be able to drill down on relevant hierarchies including [Centre Hierarchy].

http://dailyitsolutions.blogspot.com/
    • Marked as answer by KM IT Friday, November 12, 2010 5:32 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:01 AM

All replies

• Unfortunately you lose all the context sensitive features on analytical charts/reports when there is any change in MDX Query section of that report. That is the way it is in PPS 2007 and also in PPS 2010.

I would suggest whatever change you are making in MDX Query editor try to move that logic into your SSAS solution by creating sets/calculated members.

Perhaps a little more info on what you doing would help.

• Proposed as answer by JanakaV Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:49 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by KM IT Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:36 AM
  • As Umair stated, this automatically gets disabled with custom MDX.  If you provide the MDX that you are trying to do we can help with some alternative options.  Moving the logic into the cube is going to be the direction you will want to go though as Umair stated using SETS, calculations, etc.  There are options to remove empty items in the toolbar that you can do in the designer if that is all you want to do and that does not require custom MDX.  If you setup parameters though for some reason then this will disable the interaction that the users are able to do with the report.

Dan English's BI Blog
    • Proposed as answer by JanakaV Wednesday, November 10, 2010 5:50 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heidi Tr - MSFT Wednesday, November 10, 2010 7:48 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by KM IT Wednesday, November 10, 2010 10:52 PM
    Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:53 AM
  • Hi Dan/Umair,

This is my custom MDX code...

SELECT
    { [Last 8 Fortnights] } ON COLUMNS,
    { [Centre].[Centre Hierarchy].[Centre Type].&[Full Day Care].CHILDREN } ON ROWS
    FROM [Child Care]
    WHERE ( [Measures].[Usage %] )

In code [Last 8 Fortnight] is calculated named set. I want line chart X-axis is Last 8Fortnights and Y-axis is list of full day care centre & measurement is Usage %. Please can I any custom code MDX to enable drill down? Thanks.

Wednesday, November 10, 2010 11:11 PM
  • Hi Superdec,

I don't see any reason why you are opting to change MDX query behind the report.

You can drag:

[Last 8 Fortnights] on X-axis, Centre Hierarchy on Y-axis and [Usage %] on background

and the report should behave normally with context features. Here you need to note that drill down is not applicable on Calculated Measures, even at SSAS cube level. Apart from that you should be able to drill down on relevant hierarchies including [Centre Hierarchy].

• Marked as answer by KM IT Friday, November 12, 2010 5:32 AM
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 9:01 AM
  • I agree with Umair, if you have logic in the MDX tab for creating the named set simply move this into the cube so that you can reference it in Dashboard Designer.  Once you have that named set in the cube you will no longer have to use custom MDX and you will get the drill down and drill to options, but you will not be able to use the Show Details option because of the calculated measure.
    Dan English's BI Blog
    Thursday, November 11, 2010 10:26 AM