none
SCCM 2012 SP1 - Task Sequence variables not applied in unattend.xml for Windows 8 deployment RRS feed

  • Question

  • I build up a lab to deploy Windows 8 with SCCM 2012 SP1. I've got a standalone SQL 2012 Server, the Server OS is 2012, and the SCCM Server is also a Server 2012 machine. All supported as TechNet is telling.
    So I prepared an Windows 8 Image, in which I imported the german language pack, offline with dism. I also created a Task Sequence as I did in earlier Versions. I also created an unattend file, in which I used variables for the Language Settings (as I do since SCCM 2007; %OSDUILanugage%, etc). I defined those variables on the staging collection, as I already did in SCCM 2012 RTM.
    Now, when I boot up a Client and start the Installation, after some boots, it asks me, which language I would like to use. Whe I use a "hard coded" unattend file in the Task Sequence step "Apply Operating System", the correct language Settings were applied.
    I then checked the unattend.xml file in the Panther Directory, and the variables are not replaced with the Collection Variable values. I could not find out, why those variables are not replaced, and the line in the file is still
    <UILanguage>%OSDUILanugage%</UILanguage>

    Does someone have had the same experience, and found a solution?

    Tuesday, January 8, 2013 4:07 PM

Answers

  • I figured it out, a Little bit...
    When you create an unattend.xml with the Windows System Image Manager, the second last line in the XML file is a reference to the wim file, which was used to create the catalog. So here are my reports from the tests:
    When this reference line is written in the xml file, and the language settings were set hardcoded (e.g. en-US or de-CH) the unattended file is applied.
    When this reference line is written in the xml file, and the language settings were set with variables, the variables will not be resolved in the xml file.
    When this reference line is NOT written in the xml file, and the language settings were set with variables, everthing works as expected.

    I never had this behaviour before.

    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:19 PM

All replies

  • Usually the 'Configure' step in the TS reads the environmental variables and applies them to your unattend based on what is provided in the settings package.

    At the time that the machine is imaging, is it a part of your collection where you have the variables defined?

    Thursday, January 10, 2013 11:26 PM
  • I haven't any "Configure" Step in TS, what do you exactly mean?

    The variables are set on the Collection, where the Task Sequence is deployed, and the Client is member of.

    Friday, January 11, 2013 8:31 AM
  • "Configure" is a task sequence step of the MDT task sequences and not available in a ConfigMgr-only task sequence.

    Torsten Meringer | http://www.mssccmfaq.de



    • Edited by TorstenMMVP Friday, January 11, 2013 9:09 AM
    Friday, January 11, 2013 9:07 AM
  • Will this only work with installed MDT? In SCCM 2012 RTM ist was running without MDT too.

    Thanks for claryfing this.

    Friday, January 11, 2013 10:19 AM
  • Or otherwise, does someone can say, yeah, that works on my site? That would be also a very useful Information :)
    Tuesday, January 22, 2013 8:50 AM
  • I figured it out, a Little bit...
    When you create an unattend.xml with the Windows System Image Manager, the second last line in the XML file is a reference to the wim file, which was used to create the catalog. So here are my reports from the tests:
    When this reference line is written in the xml file, and the language settings were set hardcoded (e.g. en-US or de-CH) the unattended file is applied.
    When this reference line is written in the xml file, and the language settings were set with variables, the variables will not be resolved in the xml file.
    When this reference line is NOT written in the xml file, and the language settings were set with variables, everthing works as expected.

    I never had this behaviour before.

    Wednesday, February 13, 2013 8:19 PM
  • Don't use spaces in the .wim Image Path in the unattend.xml in Line "<cpi:offlineImage cpi:source=" 

    The "Windows System Image manager" write spaces as "%20" in the unattend.xml.

    Thatswhy Tasksequence Variables like "%OSDSystemLocale%" are not replaced.

    Thorsten Frohberg 

    Wednesday, November 23, 2016 2:32 PM