Monitoring Websphere 6.1 on Windows RRS feed

• General discussion

• Hi

Quick question - does anyone have any experience with monitoring Websphere 6.1 on Windows that they would be happy to share? Is there a Management Pack they would recommend? Bridgeways and Quest (ex eXc) have modules for Websphere but not sure if they monitor it running on Windows or what users think of the quality of the MP.

I realise I can build my own MP but just wanted to see if there was a pre-packaged solution that anyone was happy with.

Feel free to contact me offline - grahamdotdaviesatakcsl.com (dot --> . and at --> @) if you have negative views on existing MPs that you'd rather not publicise ;-)

Many Thanks

Graham

Graham

Thursday, June 11, 2009 2:27 PM

All replies

• Hi

Quick question - does anyone have any experience with monitoring Websphere 6.1 on Windows that they would be happy to share? Is there a Management Pack they would recommend? Bridgeways and Quest (ex eXc) have modules for Websphere but not sure if they monitor it running on Windows or what users think of the quality of the MP.

I realise I can build my own MP but just wanted to see if there was a pre-packaged solution that anyone was happy with.

Feel free to contact me offline - grahamdotdaviesatakcsl.com (dot --> . and at --> @) if you have negative views on existing MPs that you'd rather not publicise ;-)

Many Thanks

Graham

Graham

I am disappointed yet not surprised you heard no feedback on this.  Personally after evaluating the Bridgeways and Quest products I would be more inclined to create my own MP to monitor WebSphere on Windows.  The Bridgeways solution requires the installation of a custom provider and Java collector on each of the WebSphere App Servers.  Strange enough the MP doesn't appear smart enough to understand when there are hot and cold instances of an application in a highly available environment.  Also this type of solution means more maintenance and installation/config to get everything up and running.  I am ok with this but would prefer a cleaner/leaner solution (pure MP if I can do it).  On the other hand, the quest product is basically using remote scripts/queries.  The Websphere extension extracts data from a url that is produced by the wasperf tool. You must have the wasperf tool functioning and rendering websphere environment data (outputs xml) in order for QMX to function properly. You can test your wasperf config by entering the url in IE and ensuring you get the expected xml returned.

I too am currently attempting to monitor WebSphere and running app instances on a Windows platform.  However I've found absolutely zero information in terms of the Windows registry or WMI where WebSphere leaves a footprint to even identify that WebSphere Application Server is installed.

Friday, May 27, 2011 2:33 PM
  • Jon,

SCOM 2012 will support monitoring of WebSphere 6.1 on Windows (and *NIX).  Out-of-the-box we support application server profile discovery and basic monitoring.  If deep monitoring is enabled you can discovery/monitor applications deployed and a template wizard to generate custom monitors for those applications.

The Beta is available for download here.

Monday, October 3, 2011 8:51 PM