How to get numbered lists without number (like it was possible in earlier versions) RRS feed

• Question

• A numbered list may consists of a number and some text in front of every paragraf.

Using Word 2010 I detected, that when I delete the number the whole list can't be changed furthermore. The ok-Button becomes grayed out when there is no number and only text. So I can't build paragraph styles like

plus: Some paragraph text. (Style "plus") 
    plus: Some other paragraph text. (Style "plus")
    minus: Some pragraph text. (Style "minus")

because there's no number inside the leading text of each paragraph.

In earlier versions I often used such styles to have paragraphs marked by some easy to change leading text. Now the only way to have this styles is to import them from earlier document templates. This is unsatisfactorily because such styles can't be changed in Word 2010.

Is this a known bug or is this "by design"? Any workaround?

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 1:53 PM

Answers

• The workaround is to create a multilevel list instead. It allows you to have a list level without numbering, as in earlier versions of Word.

Stefan Blom, Microsoft Word MVP
    • Marked as answer by Halweg Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:24 AM
    • Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:46 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I suspect you created two paragraph styles and an outline list.  In the list level you replaced the numbers with your lead-in word and linked the level to the paragraph style for that lead-in word.

You can do  all of these things in W2007/10.  But you get to the dialog by clicking the multilevel list button (instead of modifying the paragraph style), and then by  clicking "Define new multilevel list".   

Pam

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:08 PM

All replies

• The workaround is to create a multilevel list instead. It allows you to have a list level without numbering, as in earlier versions of Word.

• Edited by Stefan BlomMVP Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:46 AM
    Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:00 PM
  • I suspect you created two paragraph styles and an outline list.  In the list level you replaced the numbers with your lead-in word and linked the level to the paragraph style for that lead-in word.

You can do  all of these things in W2007/10.  But you get to the dialog by clicking the multilevel list button (instead of modifying the paragraph style), and then by  clicking "Define new multilevel list".   

Pam

Tuesday, September 27, 2011 6:08 PM
  • Using multilevel lists function I did it. But it's a little bit irritating to have multilevel lists parallel with styles. I cannot change the list text by the style dialog.

However it works. Thank you very much.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:24 AM
  • Using multilevel lists function I did it. But it's a little bit irritating to have multilevel lists parallel with styles. I cannot change the list text by the style dialog.

I agree that it seems confusing to use a multilevel list when what you need is logically a single-level list (although the two types appear to have more and more in common with recent versions of Word). 

Note that any changes to a multilevel list should be done via the first level 1 item; that's where you place the insertion point before clicking Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New Multilevel List. (If you made use of a list style, you can modify that style via the Manage Styles dialog or by typing the style name into the Apply Styles pane (Ctrl+Shift+S).)

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 7:37 AM
  • Thank you for description. It's a pitty multilevel lists are not well documented by MS.
    Wednesday, September 28, 2011 1:50 PM
  • On 2011-09-28 15:50, Halweg wrote:
    Thank you for description. It's a pitty multilevel lists are not well documented by MS.

Unfortunately, in recent versions of Word, nothing is well-documented. Or at least it's very difficult to find the documentation, because the help files are a mess. :-(  Sometimes, you can find what you are looking for online, at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/, though.

However, when modifying any multilevel list, the rule is to start at the first level 1 item, as I wrote, and use the Define New Multilevel List command. When setting up multilevel lists from start, take a look at http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/numbering20072010.html, which also discusses list styles in detail.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 2:36 PM
  • I've found out what you are trying to do with  bullet and numbered list.  It's described on page 7 of this  MS  Bullets, numbers, and lists course.  I took this training a couple weeks ago and learned quite a lot about bullets and numbering that I didn't know--because I rarely use them and because I have nearly all autoformatting turned off. 

For it to work, you must have a check in the box before "Format beginning of list item like the one before it".  You can find that setting by going here: Office button > Word Options > Proofing > Auto Correct Options button > AutoFormat as You Type tab.

--I turned it on temporarily this morning to make sure it works, but I'm using W2007.  If it still doesn't work for W2010, please write back. 

HTH,

Pam

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 3:22 PM
  • I've found out what you are trying to do with  bullet and numbered list.  It's described on page 7 of this  MS  Bullets, numbers, and lists course.  I took this training a couple weeks ago and learned quite a lot about bullets and numbering that I didn't know--because I rarely use them and because I have nearly all autoformatting turned off. 

For it to work, you must have a check in the box before "Format beginning of list item like the one before it".  You can find that setting by going here: Office button > Word Options > Proofing > Auto Correct Options button > AutoFormat as You Type tab.

--I turned it on temporarily this morning to make sure it works, but I'm using W2007.  If it still doesn't work for W2010, please write back. 

I have to admit I hadn't realized the power of the "Format beginning of list item like the one before it" option (on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect dialog box); thank you for that tip, discussed at the end of the article at http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/word-h elp/bullets-numbers-and-lists-RZ010216185.aspx?section=7. Getting Word to automatically add formatting such as bold to the first sentence in each list item would definitely be useful at times. And, yes, it does work in Word 2010 too.

But I don't see the connection to the original question in this thread, which was about using a numbered style without actual numbering, in order to automatically add static text to certain paragraphs. This is actually discussed in detail by Suzanne S. Barnhill in the article at http://sbarnhill .mvps.org/WordFAQs/QandA2007.htm.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 9:40 PM
  • I don't know the answer but I too have a question/

I'm writing a report and wanted to do this:

Article 3

and then if I have another article I want to do the same thing in the same project like this:

Article 4

Does someone know a way to do this? I tried a lot of things but every time I did it with the outline numbering but started as 1 and when I pressed enter and it was followed by 2. I modified the format to start as 1.1 but when I pressed enter the following number was 2.1, 3.1 but I want it 3.1 3.2 etc... 

sorry for the lame post but I don't even know how to ask this!

Thanks! 

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:42 PM
  • In the second paragraph, the one numbered 2, press the Tab key (with the insertion point at the beginning of the text paragraph, immediately after the auto number) to change to the next lower numbering level.

For more on setting up multilevel numbering, see http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/outlinenumbering.html.

Wednesday, September 28, 2011 11:49 PM
  • I tried it but what it does is something like this:

2. something something something

but the numbering I want needs to start as 2.1 without having an anything else before the text. I don't know if I'm explaining myself....

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do, but without manually typing it:

Article 1 Name of the article

1.1 the article text, description etc.

1.2  another paragraph

1.3 something something 

Article 2 Name of the other article

2.1 paragraph
    2.2 another paragraph
    2.3 other thing.

I hope I make sense...  

*** Btw thanks for the quick reply!!! :D
    • Edited by ymfb Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:04 AM
    Thursday, September 29, 2011 12:01 AM
  • I tried it but what it does is something like this:

2. something something something

but the numbering I want needs to start as 2.1 without having an anything else before the text. I don't know if I'm explaining myself....

Here's an example of what I'm trying to do, but without manually typing it:

1.1 the article text, description etc.

1.2  another paragraph

1.3 something something 

Article 2 Name of the other article

2.1 paragraph
    2.2 another paragraph
    2.3 other thing.

I hope I make sense...  

Are you saying that the articles are in separate documents and that the first digit in "x.y" is static? In that case, you can use a single-level list and simply type in the first number.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 7:41 AM
  • Alternativly

should be a part of the multilevel numbered list (Level 1). The word "Article" inside the numbering format, not as a part of the typed paragraf text.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 8:36 AM
  • Alternativly

should be a part of the multilevel numbered list (Level 1). The word "Article" inside the numbering format, not as a part of the typed paragraf text.

OK, then you definitely need a multilevel list. If the "1" should be static, you can type it in, along with "Article." If not, type in "Article" and add an auto number. See http://www.shauna kelly.com/topic/word/numbering.

Thursday, September 29, 2011 5:20 PM