none
Network monitor 3.4 user licence RRS feed

• Question

• I was wondering if anybody could tell me if you can use network monitor 3.4 commercially as apposed to localy on your own system. Also is there a licence i can look at to see what you can and can't do with the software.

Thank you

Tuesday, September 25, 2012 9:10 PM

All replies

• Hi Bradley,

The EULA is included with the product.  You can see it during the installation process or in the installation directory.  It spells out what you can and can't do with the product.  Note, some of the parser releases are licenses differently if you install upgrades from nmparsers.codeplex.com.

To informally summarize the EULA, you're welcome to use the software on any machine you choose (personal or business), though we don't recommend running it on production systems for performance reasons (though most people need to troubleshoot those...).  We just don't allow redistributing the installer or any dll components, so you can't make a product on our API and include our API with it, you'd have to direct others to download Network Monitor first.

Hope that helps.  If you have other questions, you should probably just pass on the EULA to your business legal department (probably the best thing to do anyway).

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

• Marked as answer by bradleyc64 Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:02 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by bradleyc64 Thursday, September 27, 2012 12:22 PM
    Tuesday, September 25, 2012 10:04 PM
  • Thank you that is very helpfull information and exactly what i asked for. I do have one further question for you: within the EULA it states that you cannot

"use the software for commercial software hosting services". Is this just a case of not making the install file available through our website but instead providing a link to the network monitor 3.4 website. Also can the software be used remotely?

Thank you very much for your time i really appreciate it. I look forward to your reply.

Wednesday, September 26, 2012 9:13 PM
  • Hi Bradley,

You are correct that we want you to link to the official Network Monitor download and not host our installer on your own website.

You're welcome to remote into a machine with the software on it and use it that way if that's what you mean.

Thanks,

Michael Hawker | Program Manager | Network Monitor

• Proposed as answer by Paul E Long Wednesday, October 3, 2012 9:01 PM
    Thursday, September 27, 2012 7:25 PM
  • Hi Michael.

I have developed a Windows service that uses Microsoft Network Monitor 3.4 to capture network data. After reading couple of posts on User License related to the installer at:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/netmon/thread/acd95289-d8b7-4257-98ef-37a2144f9605

I understand that the installer binaries cannot be included in the main installer and that the installer cannot be hosted on my own website and that all Microsoft wants is to make sure the installer is downloaded from MS official site. Now whether the download is manual or automatic that is irrelevant. Is that correct?

I like my installer to be as seamless as possible and provide a single installer experience to my users. I don't want to instruct the user to browse to MS download site and download the platform-specific NM 3.4 installer, instead I like to have my installer download the platform-specific NM 3.4 installer from the official MS site automatically behind the scene and lunch the installer for them and have them go through the installer wizard on their own.

So would that be ok if my installer download the NM 3.4 installer automatically from these MS official links?

Here are the link for Network Monitor 3.4 x64 installer:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107104&clcid=0x409

And here are the link for Network Monitor 3.4 x86 installer:
    http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=107100&clcid=0x409

Thanks in advance.

Mark Bidar

Friday, May 17, 2013 7:02 PM
  • Yes, you can use those direct links and install automatically as part of your install.

Paul

Friday, May 24, 2013 3:03 PM
  • Paul,

I implemented my installer in such a way that it automatically downloads and installs the Microsoft Network Monitor. Would that be legally OK if I run the Netmon installer in Quite mode (/Q)? That would make my installer much more seamless.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

Wednesday, July 10, 2013 7:20 PM
  • Yes, that is fine.
    Tuesday, July 16, 2013 4:28 PM