Word 2016 Multi Level Heading Numbers will not Save AND CUSTOMIZED STYLES FOR OUTLINE NUMBERING RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I have created styles for a numbered list and tried customizing unsuccessfully a 3 level numbered list as below:

1.  Work health

1.1 Work health and issue

1.1.1 Emergency evacuation

For the life of me after spending hours on trying to figure out how word applies the style for the subheadings under the above format it firstly, it did not save that format under the customized menu, secondly it only attributes the 1. style successfully. All other sub numbering does not work!!!!! why??? It was easier for me to manually put in the sub numbering as I went along but this should not have to be the case if WORD has the feature of implementing automatic style numbering!! Please help.

I have Word 2016 (Version 16.16.9). I even went into my preference to click he box on autoFormat as you type for the 'Automatic numbered list' but it still did not work.

Also the feature of going into the menu bar each time you need to apply the style for the Multilevel list is frustrating!!

PLEASE HELP AS THIS IS URGENTLY REQUIRED FOR A 240 PAGE DOCUMENT.

Thank you

Regards

Michelle

Tuesday, May 14, 2019 5:25 AM

All replies

• Hi Michelle,

Based on your description, I know that you are using Word for Mac. You can follow the steps in the article Add multilevel lists or create new ones in Word for Mac to create or apply multilevel numbered list.

In addition, as far as I know, there is a build-in 3 level numbered list in List Library:

If you have any updates, feel free to post back to let us know.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:33 AM
  • See this page for step-by-step instructions.

Outline Numbering in Word for the Mac

Charles Kenyon Madison, WI

Wednesday, May 15, 2019 2:54 PM
  • Hi,

I am checking the status of this issue. Do you have any update for it?

If the above reply is helpful to this question, please remember to mark it as answer. Your action would be helpful to other users who encounter the same issue and read this thread. Thanks for your understanding.

Anything unclear or any questions, feel free to post them back to let us know. I will be glad to follow up and help you.

Best Regards,

Herb

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Office 2019.

Tuesday, May 21, 2019 7:11 AM
  • Herb,

Sorry for the late response...

I will definitely give your suggestion a go but from memory, I did try applying that same numbered style within Word though unsuccessfully! 

Will give it another go and will get back to you asap.

Thank you

Regards

Michelle

Thursday, May 30, 2019 12:50 AM