none
Few queries - DPM 2012 and DPM 2016 RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there, 

I am new to DPM, having just implemented DPM 2012 R2 UR10 and I am hoping someone can help on my queries below. 

DPM 2012 -

Both UR11 and the October Azure MARS agent has been released. 

-          At what point does Microsoft say ‘Perform the update or online backups will fail’?

DPM 2016 - 

-          When creating a protection group, you need to specify minimum one day on-prem retention

We were told this would no longer apply in DPM 2016, and that we could backup direct to cloud, but that clearly is not the case. Can someone confirm that there is still a requirement for minimum one day on-prem retention?

DPM 2016 - 

In order to take advantage of MBS, do I need to install DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016, or can I use Windows Server 2012?

Many thanks

Wednesday, November 30, 2016 6:33 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Q1) At what point does Microsoft say ‘Perform the update or online backups will fail’?
    A1)  This is not a common scenario - it usually occurs when some azure service side changes / fixes were implemented and require the newer agent since the older agent is not compatible.  

Q2)  DPM 216 requiring local storage for online backups.
    A2)  It was never in the plan to eliminate the local storage requirement for Azure backups.  Your source was incorrect.

Q3) In order to take advantage of MBS, do I need to install DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016, or can I use Windows Server 2012?
    A3) Windows 2016 is the requirement to take advantage of the new modern backup storage (MBS).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 2, 2016 10:53 PM

All replies

• For MBS you need Windows Server 2016 with ReFS volumes.
    Friday, December 2, 2016 2:55 PM
  • Hi,

Q1) At what point does Microsoft say ‘Perform the update or online backups will fail’?
    A1)  This is not a common scenario - it usually occurs when some azure service side changes / fixes were implemented and require the newer agent since the older agent is not compatible.  

Q2)  DPM 216 requiring local storage for online backups.
    A2)  It was never in the plan to eliminate the local storage requirement for Azure backups.  Your source was incorrect.

Q3) In order to take advantage of MBS, do I need to install DPM 2016 on Windows Server 2016, or can I use Windows Server 2012?
    A3) Windows 2016 is the requirement to take advantage of the new modern backup storage (MBS).

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Regards, Mike J. [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

Friday, December 2, 2016 10:53 PM
  • Many thanks for the replies; it is much appreciated.
    Monday, December 5, 2016 7:31 AM