none
Delpoy software with GPO

Question

• when i create a GPO and add a software to be installed the software doesnt install

according to online i need to share the folder which i have.

i can do a drive map to the folder and connect but if i go to the install a program from the network and click install it tells me its on a network resource that is unavailable.

i cannot get it to work.

i also read online about doing a RSoP and when i do i get a error saying they RSoP snap-in was unable to generate the computer data due to insufficient permissions.

on my server if i run a GPRESULT /USER test /V  i get "INFO: The user "test" does not have RSoP data."

im at a loss.

can anyone help me.

few bits of info...

my network is new, nothing from the old system.

im running server 2012 r2 data and the end users are on windows 10 pro and education

Thanks for any help you can give.

• Edited by Paideiatech Monday, August 08, 2016 11:28 PM
    Monday, August 08, 2016 11:27 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Thanks for your post.

i can do a drive map to the folder and connect but if i go to the install a program from the network and click install it tells me its on a network resource that is unavailable.

>>>To deploy software by group policy, you need create a distribute point.

1. Log on to the server as an administrator.
    2. Create a shared network folder where you will put the Microsoft Windows Installer package (.msi file) that you want to distribute.
    3. Set permissions on the share to allow access to the distribution package.
    4. Copy or install the package to the distribution point.

i also read online about doing a RSoP and when i do i get a error saying they RSoP snap-in was unable to generate the computer data due to insufficient permissions.

on my server if i run a GPRESULT /USER test /V  i get "INFO: The user "test" does not have RSoP data."

>>>If you deploy software for computers, you need administrative rights to perform those actions.

To deploy software by GPO, you could follow the instruction of the article below.

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2003

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/816102

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 5:46 AM

All replies

• Do you deploy the application to the user or the computer ?

This posting is provided AS IS without warranty of any kind

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 12:01 AM
  • Hi,

Thanks for your post.

>>>To deploy software by group policy, you need create a distribute point.

1. Log on to the server as an administrator.
    2. Create a shared network folder where you will put the Microsoft Windows Installer package (.msi file) that you want to distribute.
    3. Set permissions on the share to allow access to the distribution package.
    4. Copy or install the package to the distribution point.

>>>If you deploy software for computers, you need administrative rights to perform those actions.

To deploy software by GPO, you could follow the instruction of the article below.

How to use Group Policy to remotely install software in Windows Server 2008 and in Windows Server 2003

Best Regards,

Jay

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help and un-mark them if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 5:46 AM
  • > i can do a drive map to the folder and connect but if i go to the
    > install a program from the network and click install it tells me its on
    > a network resource that is unavailable.

Do computer accounts have read access to your share?

> i also read online about doing a RSoP and when i do i get a error saying
    > they RSoP snap-in was unable to generate the computer data due to
    > insufficient permissions.

Is your user admin?

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 9:29 AM
  • i tried deploying with both and neither worked
    Tuesday, August 09, 2016 7:05 PM
  • the link solved my issue, its part my stupidity (user error) and part this is my first time setting this up.

it said

**Important Do not use the Browse button to access the location. Make sure that you use the UNC path of the shared installer package. **

and that was my issue, i was telling to look on the users PC and not the sharred network folder. once i put the correct path it work.

THANKS

Tuesday, August 09, 2016 7:18 PM