How do I set special permissions to all files on Vista? RRS feed

• Question

• I'm the only one that uses my computer.  I am soooo sick and tired of 'permissions' I could puke!  I want my computer to act like there is no such thing as 'special permissions' or any permissions at all!!
    I am soooo tired of being told that I don't have 'permission to save to my own files!  Or, you can't do this or that. 
    Geesh, I am the only person on this computer!!  Did Microsoft think of people like me (to which I know I'm not alone) when they wrote this software joke that is called 'Vista?'
    I went from Win98 to Vista.....a big change I don't like at all.  But millions like me, we had no choice when I purchased this computer last year.
    In summation, how do I get rid of all permissions on my laptop?
    I am looking forward to someone out there with the answer to my prayers.

Thank you very much,

Constance
    Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:57 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Please understand the security of Vista is significantly improved. Actually, our product group has made great effort on improving the security of Vista on different aspects. The UAC function, IE Protected Mode, IE Phishing Filter, the session 0 isolation mechanism, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Microsoft Malicious Remove Tools, and so on are developed to protect the system from virus, malicious software and hackers’ attack.

However, the security enhancement may cause you feel it less convenient to use. Although it is impossible for us to get rid of all permissions, you can turn off UAC to reduce the permission requirements.

To turn off UAC, please open User Accounts in Control Panel. Click “Turn User Account Control on of off”. Uncheck the box before “Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer” and click OK. Restart the computer and UAC will be disabled.

If you still encounter permission issues, please let me know the detailed symptom and I will try to find a workaround for you.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:40 AM
  • If you really don't want any permissions, format your partition with FAT32...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:22 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Please understand the security of Vista is significantly improved. Actually, our product group has made great effort on improving the security of Vista on different aspects. The UAC function, IE Protected Mode, IE Phishing Filter, the session 0 isolation mechanism, Windows Firewall, Windows Defender, Microsoft Malicious Remove Tools, and so on are developed to protect the system from virus, malicious software and hackers’ attack.

However, the security enhancement may cause you feel it less convenient to use. Although it is impossible for us to get rid of all permissions, you can turn off UAC to reduce the permission requirements.

To turn off UAC, please open User Accounts in Control Panel. Click “Turn User Account Control on of off”. Uncheck the box before “Use User Account Control (UAC) to help protect your computer” and click OK. Restart the computer and UAC will be disabled.

If you still encounter permission issues, please let me know the detailed symptom and I will try to find a workaround for you.

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 5:40 AM
  • If you really don't want any permissions, format your partition with FAT32...

Tuesday, November 18, 2008 1:22 PM
  •  

Yes, formatting the drive as FAT32 is a way to get rid of permissions on your system.

For detailed information about FAT32 and NTFS, you can refer to the following article:

File Systems

http://technet2.microsoft.com/windowsvista/zh-CHS/library/5025760b-0433-4ba1-a2f4-9338915fdb4b2052.mspx?pf=true

Hope it helps.

Tim Quan - MSFT

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 3:13 AM
  • I'm with Constance on this one.  I've wasted much more time than my computer is worth sorting out permissions.  What a mistake it was setting up an Admin account and a standard account. I've changed then both the Admin accounts now.  I've turned UAC off too.  I don't know how much that cost me in new software as I'm sure some old software got caught up with standard accounts and UAC.

No marks to microsoft on this feature.

Same applies to IE 7/Vista parental controls.  I turned those off too so my kids could use my computer.

Wednesday, November 19, 2008 9:09 AM
  • A lot is said about "Special Permissions", but the fact remains that only TrustedInstaller has absolute control over the system and that's not us.  The idea to protect users against themselves is nice, but as a programmer I dislike being out off the loop.  I need access to hidden files and folders, need to see and copy system files, etc.  I won't go into details here about my network, but Vista is seriously bugging me.  When a TrustedInstaller, let's say Microsoft, screws up one of my systems by performing an unwanted update, they can't be blamed.  There solution is usually, and has been for 20 years, "Format C:".  An update is performed, unwanted, BOOTMGR is lost, Help Desk can't solve it.  I know how but I don't have the permission.  Figures.  I need, and I'm not the only one, absolute control over my network systems; I won't complain when something goes wrong (BTW, Microsoft's Legal Agreements can be summurized in a single line "I didn't do it!").  This will safe me enormous amounts of time.  There is a way around this, so just tell us, as one Programmer to another.
    Tuesday, March 10, 2009 7:06 PM
  • Hello,
    Use the steps at the bottom of this article to take ownship and set the permissions on files and folders and you need to change:

929833 Some Windows Vista functions may not work, or Windows Vista may stop responding
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;929833

Thanks, Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 2:11 AM
  • The link is no longer available. Does anyone know know if this is posted under another link. I was not able to find it.
    Thanks,

Friday, August 7, 2009 6:51 PM
  • Hi,

I tried disabling UAC but still I can not unset the Read-only Permission tag which keeps repeating.

The problem I face is : I am trying to change the Permission to a file to 777 as needed by the Installation software. I had done this before but for the Last week or so I am unable to do so. Because after uploading this file to online Server I need to set 777 Permission for installation of a PHP Program.

When I inspect my Drive/Folders I see them having Read only Permission. I being the only User-Administrator and Owner I have given myself all Permissions but after resetting the Read-Only tag and going through the elaborate Apply to all Subfolders etc the Read-only tag renmains. I try it on the entire Drive or the lower Folders but still no success. That only file under the folder called config.php with 0 bytes does not get 777 Permission and its date of modification too never changes.

After going through some comments here today I copied my important Folder into my Passport Drive which has Fat32 File System hoping that now my misery will end but I report here that again when I try to remove read-only tag at the end it returns to the same state and I AM UNABLE TO GIVE 777 PERMISSION TO A SMALL FILE !

What is going on ? What can be done ??

Wg Cdr Thomas Walker

Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:56 PM
  • Hi,

I tried disabling UAC but still I can not unset the Read-only Permission tag which keeps repeating.

The problem I face is : I am trying to change the Permission to a file to 777 as needed by the Installation software. I had done this before but for the Last week or so I am unable to do so. Because after uploading this file to online Server I need to set 777 Permission for installation of a PHP Program.

When I inspect my Drive/Folders I see them having Read only Permission. I being the only User-Administrator and Owner I have given myself all Permissions but after resetting the Read-Only tag and going through the elaborate Apply to all Subfolders etc the Read-only tag renmains. I try it on the entire Drive or the lower Folders but still no success. That only file under the folder called config.php with 0 bytes does not get 777 Permission and its date of modification too never changes.

After going through some comments here today I copied my important Folder into my Passport Drive which has Fat32 File System hoping that now my misery will end but I report here that again when I try to remove read-only tag at the end it returns to the same state and I AM UNABLE TO GIVE 777 PERMISSION TO A SMALL FILE !

Wg Cdr Thomas Walker

Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Hi,

Wg Cdr Thomas Walker

Saturday, October 4, 2014 12:57 PM
  • Here is a solution: Upgrade from Windows Vista to either Windows 7 or Windows 8.1!
    Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:18 PM