none
Custom fields and dashboards RRS feed

• Question

• Hi

I have created a field in msprojects 2010 called shedule status.The formula and graphical indicators show which is great.

How would i go about adding the schedule status field to show the graphical indicators in pwa?

In pwa the BI centre - dashboard designer is blank when i click connect it is asking me for a sharpoint URL,i have tried the pwa url but that does not seem to work,which url will it be ask for?

Also do i have to setup olap cubes before building dashboards and reports with dashboard designer? 

regards

Thursday, September 9, 2010 7:51 AM

Answers

• Here are some step-by-step instructions for creating a custom field in Project Server and making it available in PWA.

Create the custom field:

• Open Project Web App
    • Go to Server Settings -> Enterprise Custom Fields and Looukp Tables
    • Based on what you told me, your field should already be available from the list. Open it to verify it's ettings. If it doesn't exist, create it using the steps below
    • Click 'New Field'
    • Enter the Name, select Project for Entity, select Formula and add the formula. In values to display, define the Graphical indicators.
    • Click Save to save the custom field

Make it available in PWA:

• Open Project Web App
    • Go to Server Settings -> Manage Views
    • Under the section 'Project Center', click the view to which you want to add the custom field OR click New View to create a new Project Center view (when creating a new view, do not forget to assign it to at least one category to which you and/or the other users have access)
    • With the view definition opened, select the custom field from 'Available Fields' and click Add
    • Using the Up and Down buttons, you can define it's location in the view
    • Click 'Save' to save the view

Next step is to open your project(s), save the project and publish it. This is necessary to make the formula calculate it's value.

Now go to PWA, go to Project Center, and select the view to which you added the custom field.

That's it!

About the dashboard designer URL, that's something I need to verify.

Hans

My EPM blog: Projectopolis
    Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:48 AM

All replies

• Hi projadmin,

Did you create the field locally inside a project plan? Or did you create it as an enterprise field (in PWA -> Server Settings). I assume the field is created as a Project level field?

You can add the field to a Project Center view, and it will show the graphical indicator for all published projects in PWA. (PWA -> Server Settings -> Manage Views)

You don't need to setup olap cubes before using the dashboard designer.

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Thursday, September 9, 2010 8:06 AM
  • Hi Hans

Thanks for the reply

I am new to project server ,so please bare with me.

I created just localy with the shedule status custom field,then i published the project plan to pwa ,the whole project shows besides that

custom field in pwa,if i check out the project plan i can view the shedule status field.

on the msprojects i did set the field to enterprise ,it does show under custom field in pwa with coding and graphical indicators then i publish it under manage view but nothing shows.

Do you have any step by step manuals for creating custom fields and views for project server?

Dashboard designer,why would it ask me for sharepoint url when trying to create a dashboard,as everything is greyed out at the moment.

your assistance is highly appreciated

regards

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:26 AM
  • Here are some step-by-step instructions for creating a custom field in Project Server and making it available in PWA.

Create the custom field:

• Open Project Web App
    • Go to Server Settings -> Enterprise Custom Fields and Looukp Tables
    • Based on what you told me, your field should already be available from the list. Open it to verify it's ettings. If it doesn't exist, create it using the steps below
    • Click 'New Field'
    • Enter the Name, select Project for Entity, select Formula and add the formula. In values to display, define the Graphical indicators.
    • Click Save to save the custom field

Make it available in PWA:

• Open Project Web App
    • Go to Server Settings -> Manage Views
    • Under the section 'Project Center', click the view to which you want to add the custom field OR click New View to create a new Project Center view (when creating a new view, do not forget to assign it to at least one category to which you and/or the other users have access)
    • With the view definition opened, select the custom field from 'Available Fields' and click Add
    • Using the Up and Down buttons, you can define it's location in the view
    • Click 'Save' to save the view

Next step is to open your project(s), save the project and publish it. This is necessary to make the formula calculate it's value.

Now go to PWA, go to Project Center, and select the view to which you added the custom field.

That's it!

About the dashboard designer URL, that's something I need to verify.

Hans

Thursday, September 9, 2010 9:48 AM
  • About the URL you need to enter in the Dashboard Designer:

You need to open the Dashboard Designer by going to PWA -> Business Intelligence Center. On the home page, hover with your mouse over 'Create Dashboards' and click on 'Start using PerformancePoint Services'. On the next page, click on 'Run Dashboard Designer'.
    Normally you don't need to enter an URL now.

Keep in mind that if you open the Dashboard Designer using a different manner, that PerformancePoint requires some additional configuration (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee836146.aspx)

BTW, the URL is the URL of your PWA page (i.e. http://servername/pwa)

I hope this helps,
    Hans

Thursday, September 9, 2010 1:56 PM
  • Hans

I trust you well.Your assistance has been really great.

I have uploaded serveral projects to my project centre,how do i  go about creating  dashboards for project managers to view like information, project by phase,projects by departments and cumulative work vs actual cost vs forecast.

I would also like to create another dashboard for viewing all risk and issues for projects.

Hans how can i remove some of the quick launch link on Project web access.Timesheets, we are not going to use that functionality as yet so therfore we just need to disable it for a now.

regards

Monday, September 13, 2010 1:17 PM
  • Projadmin,

Glad I could help...

By dashboard, I assume you mean Project Center views and not real dashboard in the Business Intelligence part?

You can create additional Project Center views the same way you have modified the one before.

• In PWA go to Server Settings -> Manage Views
    • Click 'New View'
    • Enter a Name (e.g. Project by Phase) and as type select Project Center
    • Add all the fields yo want to be available on the view. For example, if you want to group by phase, make sure yo add it to the field list.
    • In the group by section, select Phase to create your 'project by phase' view.
    • Add it to the correct category and click Save

That's it.

The list of available fields also contains some fields about issues and risks (like 'Active Issues', ...). If you really need to have an overview of all the issues and risks of yor projects (so not just the numbver of them, but also name, owner, ...) you need to create your own custom report. An example of such a report can be found in the Business Intelligence Center under Sample Reports -> English ...

To remove items from the quick launch:

• Make sure you disable the features you do not plan to use in 'PWA -> Server Settings -> Project Web App Permissions'
    • Some of the items in the Quick Launch bar are dynamically added. Check if the item is gone by disabling the feature
    • For other features, after disabling, you need to remove the link from 'PWA -> Server Settings -> under Look and Feel select Quick Launch'
    • Click the link you want to remove and on the next page set Display link in Quick Launch to No

Regards,
    Hans

Monday, September 13, 2010 1:32 PM
  • Hans

Thanks for the quick response.

I did see in the sample report in the Business intelligence centre,how would i go about adding some of those reports in 1 view  to create a dashboard? and how would i link the dashboards to pwa.

The quick Launch is now sorted thanks for your assistance.

regards

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:09 PM
  • Projadmin,

Dashboards contain multiple reports (like Excel Services) reports can be created using the Dashboard Designer, which is available from the Business Intelligence enter in PWA. Dashboards can be published to the same BI Center page after creation.

Step-By-Step instructions on how to create and publish those dashboards would take me to long to explain in a forum post.

But you can always take a look at some of the Microsoft webcasts about BI for Project Server 2010:
    http://blogs.msdn.com/b/project_programmability/archive/2010/04/13/announcing-15-upcoming-developer-and-2-bi-webcasts-for-project-2010.aspx#_Project_2010_Business

Regards,
    Hans

Monday, September 13, 2010 2:55 PM