none
Nightly Restart of SteadyState computer? RRS feed

• Question

• Is there a way that I can restart my computer even the user is not login ?
    I know I am able to script the scheduler task to do what I want, but I remember if I tried to restart my computer, the steadystate will ask me if i want to save the changes or not ?

Is there a way to just restart the computer even it is at the ctrl+alt+del screen?

Thanks !
    Wednesday, March 17, 2010 9:34 PM

Answers

• Thanks,

I did not need to disable the prompt for the auto-restart or set any restriction as well.

You create a schedule task, and do command prompt.

And this is the command you issue with your admin login.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE /C "shutdown.exe -f -r -t 0"

And set the time you want to restart and the computer will restart itself anywhere regardless and no prompt.
    • Marked as answer by OxYI Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:47 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:57 PM

All replies

• If you want to disable the prompt "save the changes or not", you can add bubble.exe to blocked programs under that user. To restart the computer under Welcome Screen, you will need to disable one restriction in Windows SteadyState:

Set Computer Restrictions | Remove the Shut Down and Turn Off options from the "Log On to Windows" dialog box and the Welcome screen.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 7:06 AM
  • Thanks,

I did not need to disable the prompt for the auto-restart or set any restriction as well.

You create a schedule task, and do command prompt.

And this is the command you issue with your admin login.

C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CMD.EXE /C "shutdown.exe -f -r -t 0"

And set the time you want to restart and the computer will restart itself anywhere regardless and no prompt.
    • Marked as answer by OxYI Thursday, March 18, 2010 8:47 PM
    Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:57 PM