none
Troubleshoot: Event ID: 157 Disk X has been surprise removed RRS feed

• Question

• The event viewer may display:  Event ID: 157  Disk 6 has been surprise removed.

After checking the drive with chkdsk /r and HD tune, Crystal Disk, Sea Tools, etc what are the additional troubleshooting steps when all of these drive tests pass so that there are no longer any surprise removed.

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/ntdebugging/2013/12/27/event-id-157-disk-has-been-surprise-removed/

These errors are most often caused when something disrupts the system’s communication with a disk, such as a SAN fabric error or a SCSI bus problem.  The errors can also be caused by a disk that fails, or when a user unplugs a disk while the system is running.  An administrator that sees these errors needs to verify the heath of the disk subsystem.

1) What is a SAN fabric error and how do you troubleshoot it?

2) What is a SCSI bus problem and how do you troubleshoot it?

3) How do you verify the health of the disk subsystem?

Wednesday, January 17, 2018 1:52 AM

All replies

• Information is needed on why this problem does not occur in most computers and occurs in a small group of computers (percentage basis).

When does a workup need to be performed and what are the steps?

If some of the event viewer entries can be ignored how do you determine which ones they are?  What else do you look for?

Please comment on these:

Sunday, April 21, 2019 5:54 PM
  • Information is needed on why this problem does not occur in most computers and occurs in a small group of computers (percentage basis).

It always a false positifs or you have clone the disk and you have 2 disk with the same ID on the PC.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/markrussinovich/2011/11/06/fixing-disk-signature-collisions/

When does a workup need to be performed and what are the steps?

You can check ID DISK with DISKPART

https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-disk-signature-collision-error-windows/

If some of the event viewer entries can be ignored how do you determine which ones they are?  What else do you look for?

It's MICROSOFT troubleshooting poor vision :)

Please comment on these:

It's for server HYPERv connection not for OS W10

It's for VM on HYPERv not for OS W10physical

Try to execute on BIOS/UEFI the toolsvendors

exemple DELL PSA

https://www.dell.com/support/article/fr/fr/frbsdt1/sln114988/dell-diagnostic-tools-to-diagnose-and-fix-hardware-problems-on-your-dell-pc-tablet-or-servers?lang=en

"Marquer comme réponse" les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème

Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:15 PM
  • finish him :)

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/virtual_pc_guy/2015/04/03/hyper-v-and-event-id-157-disk-x-has-been-surprise-removed/

"Marquer comme réponse" les réponses qui ont résolu votre problème

Sunday, April 21, 2019 8:20 PM
  • I don't know if it is related to your issue or not, but in my case it was the Xbox App on Windows 10.

I started by searching the Internet for solutions, but didn't really find much that was helpful.  I did run the HDD and SSD tools to verify none of my 4 physical drives were failing or showing any SMART errors.  However, those events were really bugging me and I had to know what they were, so I kept digging.  I ran DISKPART and checked to make sure I didn't have any drive ID collisions, but all 4 drives had a unique ID, so that wasn't the issue.  Then I decided to check Device Manager.  I didn't see anything right off the bat, so I selected View from the top menu and then selected Show hidden devices.  Upon clicking on Disk Drives I found that I had like 50 instances of 'Xvd' under Disk Drives in Device Manager, but they were only visible after selecting to 'show hidden devices'.  I deleted all of them, but on reboot many came back so I did some more searching.  It turned out to be the Xbox App making some ghost drives for the installed games I had.  I uninstalled each of the 5 games on my PC and then uninstalled the Xbox App.  After rebooting I no longer get those surprised removed events.  I also found I had just as many hidden Storage Volumes in Device Manager, so I deleted all of the ones that were grayed out, which indicates they are no longer present.

It has been more than 4 hours and I have not received any more of the surprise removed events.  Even if this was not your issue I hope it will help someone else because I found this thread when trying to find out information about Event ID 157 and surprise removed drives.  Also, I did not notice any of these events prior to installing Windows 10 update 2004 on July 26th, 2020.

Note: When deleting items from Device Manager, proceed at your own risk.  I had a current backup of my PC so I was not terribly worried about messing anything up.

• Edited by MuhChicken Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:19 AM spelling
    Wednesday, August 5, 2020 3:18 AM