none
Executing in non SMS standalone mode. Ignoring send a task execution status message request RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have this task sequence in MDT 2013 which runs ok. However  @ the end there is a vmware tools install and a wsus update. For some reason, suddenly it doesn’t do this anymore. Task sequence ends, no clue why, no errors.

If I restart the task sequence, it tells me there is already a  task sequence going on.

So please advise:

-if I want to use this OS, how can I use it cleanly (so abort the task sequence, I don’t want it to continue “one day”)

-succesfully end the task sequence, note: there is this _SMSTaskSequence underneath c:\, why?

Last lines in smsts.log:

Successfully complete the action (Restart computer) with the exit win32 code 0          TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26                1412 (0x0584)

Sending status message . . .       TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Executing in non SMS standalone mode. Ignoring send a task execution status message request         TSManager                15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionRetCode=0           TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Set a global environment variable _SMSTSLastActionSucceeded=true                TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Expand a string: %_SMSTSMDataPath%\Logs    TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Deleting file without retry         TSManager         15/11/2013 17:07:26       1412 (0x0584)

Jan Hoedt

Monday, November 18, 2013 10:19 AM

Answers

• Sorry, I don't understand the problem here. ( You say "suddenly it doesn't do this anymore", Doesn't do WHAT? ) Can you post the BDD.log and smsts.log file to a public share like SkyDrive and share the link here?

The following is "general guidance" for mysterious reboot/TS problems.

The SMS Stand Alone Task Sequencer is the engine MDT uses to process the task sequence. Litetouch.wsf is a wrapper script that prepares the environment, runs the Task Sequence, and cleans up afterwards.

Typically, if there are problems running the Task Sequence, litetouch.wsf should either fail, or reboot the machine to continue the process. It may be possible that a program of yours may be *rudely* rebooting the machine (MDT Litetouch.wsf should handle reboots), or somehow preventing execution, and causing havoc.

I don't use VMware, so I can't offer any help on the installation program.

When installing applications, I do have some hard rules you must follow:

* Installs programs must block ( Synchronous ) execution until all processing is finished. ( Have you ever run a program from cmd.exe with the "start /wait <something>" This means, don't continue until <something> is finished. This is important for install programs.

* Install programs must *not* reboot by themselves, Instead, they should return error code 3010 when running from ZTIApplications.wsf. Otherwise the calling program must set the correct SMS Reboot and SMS Retry commands to the TS (see ZTIApplications.wsf).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:42 PM

All replies

• Sorry, I don't understand the problem here. ( You say "suddenly it doesn't do this anymore", Doesn't do WHAT? ) Can you post the BDD.log and smsts.log file to a public share like SkyDrive and share the link here?

The following is "general guidance" for mysterious reboot/TS problems.

The SMS Stand Alone Task Sequencer is the engine MDT uses to process the task sequence. Litetouch.wsf is a wrapper script that prepares the environment, runs the Task Sequence, and cleans up afterwards.

Typically, if there are problems running the Task Sequence, litetouch.wsf should either fail, or reboot the machine to continue the process. It may be possible that a program of yours may be *rudely* rebooting the machine (MDT Litetouch.wsf should handle reboots), or somehow preventing execution, and causing havoc.

I don't use VMware, so I can't offer any help on the installation program.

When installing applications, I do have some hard rules you must follow:

* Installs programs must block ( Synchronous ) execution until all processing is finished. ( Have you ever run a program from cmd.exe with the "start /wait <something>" This means, don't continue until <something> is finished. This is important for install programs.

* Install programs must *not* reboot by themselves, Instead, they should return error code 3010 when running from ZTIApplications.wsf. Otherwise the calling program must set the correct SMS Reboot and SMS Retry commands to the TS (see ZTIApplications.wsf).

Keith Garner - keithga.wordpress.com

Monday, November 18, 2013 4:42 PM
  • Thanks, I'll post the logfiles asap!

For some reason, suddenly it doesn’t do this anymore.

>Task sequence ends, no clue why, no errors.

Jan Hoedt

Monday, November 18, 2013 6:50 PM
  • Making new task sequence solved the problem.

Jan Hoedt

Monday, November 25, 2013 8:45 AM