none
EPT and Project Pro templates RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have set a specific template for each EPT defined in our system, and yet the system does not associate the right EPT when project is created in Project Pro using its corresponding template.

ie. EPT is ABC, templace name ABC.mpt, has been created using Project Pro.

I go in Project Pro, create a project using Entreprise Type ABC, and once saved and published the project is still with the default EPT type.

Did I miss a step somewhere?

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 9:04 PM

Answers

• Hello,

When creating projects via Project Pro, there is no ability to specify the Enterprise Project Template defined in PWA - projects created in Project Pro will always use the default EPT regardless of the project plan templated selected in Project Pro. If you want a project to be associated to a different EPT, you should create the initial project from the Project Center in PWA and select the correct EPT there. Alternatively, if you created a project in Project Pro and that is associated to the default EPT, you could got to PWA > Project Center > select the project row > on the Projects ribbon click the Change button. This will allow you to change the associated EPT.

Paul

Paul Mather | Twitter | http://pwmather.wordpress.com | CPS | MVP | Downloads

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:46 PM
  • Hello,

EPTs are designed to be used when creating new Projects in PWA from the Project Center. All of the features EPT's give you are PWA related - these do not impact working with the project in Project Pro.

Paul

Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:29 PM

All replies

• Hello,

When creating projects via Project Pro, there is no ability to specify the Enterprise Project Template defined in PWA - projects created in Project Pro will always use the default EPT regardless of the project plan templated selected in Project Pro. If you want a project to be associated to a different EPT, you should create the initial project from the Project Center in PWA and select the correct EPT there. Alternatively, if you created a project in Project Pro and that is associated to the default EPT, you could got to PWA > Project Center > select the project row > on the Projects ribbon click the Change button. This will allow you to change the associated EPT.

Paul

Wednesday, September 26, 2018 10:46 PM
  • Thank you for the Answer Paul, that is what is was suspecting, now I have a confirmation.

Of course, this answer leads to another question:

What purpose does it serve to give the template name in the EPT definition, if PWA does not make use of it?

Do I miss something in understanding the necesity of this field?

Thanks for your attention,

Thursday, September 27, 2018 2:51 AM
  • Hello,

The Project Plan template name? Project Plan templates are available in Project Pro but not the EPT (Enterprise Project Types) - these are PWA only.

Paul

Thursday, September 27, 2018 8:15 AM
  • Hello,

I understand well that the Project Template are used in Project Pro to actually display them in the "Enterprise" section of the Back Office panel for Project Creation.

But, what I do not get, and I'm sorry for insiting, is why do we put these templates associtated with an EPT definition and not defined separately through another PWA Setting?

In my mind, since templates are associated with EPT, then this association will be maintained or at least used by PWA.

In fact, I could use any templates available at Project Pro creation time, and later associate this project with any other EPT, for which the template was not associated with.

So, my philisophical question, is why do we have to define an association between ETP and Project Pro Templates, while it seems the system does nothing about this information?

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this matter

Thursday, September 27, 2018 1:32 PM
  • Hello,

EPTs are designed to be used when creating new Projects in PWA from the Project Center. All of the features EPT's give you are PWA related - these do not impact working with the project in Project Pro.

Paul

Thursday, September 27, 2018 4:29 PM
  • I finally got the understanding of the parameter Template under the EPTs.

My expectations of the parameters were much higher than what PWA makes use of it.

If I got it right, only the contents of the template is used to populate the project created.

I was expecting the template to pass information from PWA into Project Pro, such as metadata, project numbering schema, etc... But it does not.

What a pity.

So if a company wants to use the Enterprise Project Type, it must force creation of all the projects inside PWA.

Tuesday, October 2, 2018 4:06 PM