none
MS Project 2013 keeps corrupting my project files... RRS feed

• Question

• I've got a fairly large project plan I've been working against in Project 2013 for several months now. Up until about a week ago, everything was fine. Now, when I go to open the .mpp from file explorer or "recently opened files", Project (the program) opens, but does not open my .mpp. It just blips really quick and acts like it's going to open, but then doesn't. When I try to just open the program, and then manually navigate to the folder where my .mpp is located and open it that way, Project actually stops responding and crashes.

I can open new blank project files fine, so I think my file has become corrupt. I've read a few things that could potentially help like repairing Project, recovering previous versions, and removing all links/predecessors from the plan, but they don't help. I was able to get a previous working version of the plan, but soon thereafter opening it successfully and re-saving it in Project, it reverted to the same corrupt behavior. Interestingly enough, I've found that I "can" open the project file directly from SharePoint in read-only (I have it uploaded there for my customers to see), but if I try to save-as locally again, and then re-open it locally, it becomes corrupt again.

This is very frustrating and mind-boggling -  I'm hoping somebody else that has experienced this can point me in the direction of a solution. Thanks in advance!!

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 7:31 PM

All replies

• Hi Ryan,

Could you please let me know your patch level, Regarding the recently opened files from Project Pro.

Can you please check in SP1 or later CU?

Cheers troubleshooting !!!

Phani

Tuesday, May 20, 2014 9:58 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Here is my feedback in addition to the excellent advice given by Phani.

It could be interesting to determine weither MS Project is corrupted or your file. Since you already tried to repair MS Project through the control panel, I'd say that the file might be corrupted.

In order to repair it, save it locally as an XML file, then open the XML file with MS Project (you'll go through an import wizard) and save it back as an MPP file.

I assume that it is a standalone file, not connected to Project Server.

Hope this helps,

Guillaume Rouyre, MBA, MCP, MCTS |

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 12:26 AM
  • Final advice on top of previous good advice is to ask if the file is shared with other users with different Project versions? If so, it's essential that both versions are at the latest service pack level. If one isn't, then file corruption is likely.

Sre your projects linked (master - sub-project or resource pool)? If so, if you've ever renamed, moved or over-written any of the linked files or saved them on a WAN thats less than 99.999% perfect then it is again likely a corrupt file.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 7:26 AM
  • Hi Phani, I'm currently on Windows 7 Enterprise SP1. Thanks for your reply.
    Wednesday, May 21, 2014 1:48 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Did you have a chance to try the XML export method to repair the file?

Hope this helps,

Wednesday, May 21, 2014 2:43 PM
  • Ryan,

Have you also installed Service Pack 1 for Project 2013?  I believe that was Phani's original intent.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 4:57 PM
  • I just installed SP1 for MS Project 2013, because I did not have it, and it did not seem to fix the issue. I still can't open the file.

Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:55 PM
  • Guillaume, how can I save the .mpp file as an xml, if I cannot open the file to begin with? Is there a command or something I can run to convert it to .xml from the file browser?
    Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:56 PM
  • You're right, I didn't think about this one... 

You could send me the file at guillaumeDOTrouyreATgcosiDOTcom (replace caps) and I could do it for you.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, May 22, 2014 9:05 PM
  • Will the file open on a different PC? Will it open in Project 2010 SP2?

If not I think its time to test your backup software! There's not a lot we can do unless teh file can be opened. If there isn't a good backup and the data is really, valuable, Microsoft Consulting Services may be able to salvage the data, but it'll cost.

Rod Gill
    Author of the one and only Project VBA Book
    www.project-systems.co.nz

Friday, May 23, 2014 6:50 AM
  • I finally was able to salvage a version that I could open (but only from SharePoint, not from my local files - that's very strange). It's not the latest, but I'm past that :) So I saved as an XML, opened a new MS Project blank project and imported it back. My only question at this point is, what all imported and what did not carry over as it was in the previous project? For example, I notice that some of my formatting is gone, as well as some columns, and some of my "Work" hours per task have changed as well. Looks like there will be a lot of compare/contrast work to get this back to working order.
    Thursday, June 5, 2014 3:48 PM
  • Hi Ryan,

Glad that you finally get it worked!

As you noticed, the formatting will be lost, as per any VBA code and macros.

Hope this helps,

Thursday, June 5, 2014 6:16 PM