none
Group display templates

Question

• Hi all

I am implementing a search-driven carousel in SharePoint Online 2013 Preview like this one: http://www.blendmaster.net/blog/2012/11/search-driven-twitter-bootstrap-carousel-in-sharepoint-2013/.

Unlike that one, I am implementing it using the Search Results web part, not the Content Search web part, because the latter one isn't available in SharePoint Online 2013 Preview.

It is working, however, as well as customising the control and item display templates, I am wanting to customise the group display template; however, I can't find how to "register" the group display template.

Does anyone know how to associate a group display template with a control display template or, alternatively, how to associate the group display template with the Search Results web part?

Regards,

Chris

Tuesday, December 11, 2012 9:25 PM

All replies

• Group display templates are associated with Query Rules that have the "Add Result Block" action. They are used to format multiple returned groups of results. Your search carousel will need to use a result source with this type of query rule.

Blog | SharePoint Field Notes Dev Tool | ClassMaster

Sunday, December 16, 2012 3:35 AM
  • Are group templates even available in the CSWP Display templates? It seems I saw on this blog a reference of OOTB templates and only saw a group template for the Search Results Web Part. I have read other posts where you could actually inject a group template into the CSWP. Even with that I do not see any examples of how to build the query rule and result block so that you can group results using the CSWP.

Am I barking up the wrong tree with trying to roll-up content using the CSWP? It seems that everyone wants to group their results like they did using the CQWP but this seems to be very difficult or not well documented. I, for one, have been struggling with this for weeks without any success. This should not be so difficult.

If we don't use the CSWP for content roll-up then what are my other options for cross site-collection roll-ups?

Sunday, April 06, 2014 4:57 PM