Vista Diagnostics RRS feed

• Question

• As an administrator on my machine, I ran msconfig and changed the startup selection to 'Diagnostic startup' to try to work out what was happenning at logon. After having re-booted, Vista told me that my Vista installation was not genuine (I had been running Vista for a month, yes I had entered my product key - and yes it is genuine). At this point, all Vista gives you is a wizard to let you register your operating system - no startup menu, no desktop, nothing else. The wizard would not let me re-enter my product key and Vista would not turn on the network to let me connect to the internet to re-register.

I spent about an hour phoning around the various Microsoft support options with no help at all - and eventually I got cut off by a support operator who said that her "... system is running too slow, please call back later. Good-bye."

I managed to resolve this myself...

When Vista flags your the system as not genuine it only offers you a wizard to register your operating system. No start menu, no desktop, no anything else. One of the options in the list is to run limited system, and it gives you IE - nothing else. But since Vista has not started the network you cannot connect to the network. But since you have IE you can run Explorer by typing "Explorer" in the address bar. You can also type 'cmd' to run a command window and run 'msconfig' from the command line. Once in the command line I needed to change the directory to C: otherwise it said that my Quota was not high enough to not let me run msconfig. So now with the devil application available, I could set my system back to 'Normal startup', re-boot and my system was back to normal.

Monday, March 5, 2007 8:59 PM

Answers

• That's Windows Product Activation technique, if you didn't activate for 30 days, you'll be asked to activate or no more using computer. I understand you now can run network, that's good, so you can activate your Windows. If you're still unable to activate over internet, recall your Windows activation office for your country. If you kept getting non genuine, make sure you've installed this copy only on one machine and that you didn't change your hardware.

Good luck

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 7:06 PM

All replies

• That's Windows Product Activation technique, if you didn't activate for 30 days, you'll be asked to activate or no more using computer. I understand you now can run network, that's good, so you can activate your Windows. If you're still unable to activate over internet, recall your Windows activation office for your country. If you kept getting non genuine, make sure you've installed this copy only on one machine and that you didn't change your hardware.

Good luck

Wednesday, March 7, 2007 7:06 PM
  • Thank you for your post, but you have missed part of my post. I had already entered my product key and Vista had not timed out. All I did to resolve this was to take Vista out of 'Diagnostic startup' mode - nothing more.
    Wednesday, March 7, 2007 9:00 PM