SharePoint 2007 Navigation Audience property not getting saved RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all,

We are facing a problem in our SharePoint 2007 environment while assigning an Audience to a navigation element (Hyperlink, Heading). When I try to set the Audience property (for example with a SP group) and save it, the value does not get saved and is empty the next time I open it.

We have 3 farms (2 Test and 1 Production) where I recently installed the August 2011 CU (12.0.0.6565), and all 3 farms have this problem. And we have 1 farm with August 2010 CU (12.0.0.6545) and there we don't have this problem. So I believe this could have been introduced with the August 2011 CU.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,

Simranjeev

Monday, November 14, 2011 5:18 PM

Answers

• This appears to be a known issue with the August 2011 CU for MOSS 2007. The steps to repro are:

1. Create a link in the site navigation
    a. Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Modify Navigation
    2. Place an audience on the item
    3. Save and leave
    4. Go back to edit the same item
    5. You find the item is not populated the audience.

If these are similiar to steps that you are taking to recreate this issue; this problem is currently being reviewed by our product group and is targetted to be fixed in the December 2011 CU for MOSS 2007.

Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Technical Support | SharePoint Technologies | Microsoft Corporation
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:54 PM

All replies

• Hello,

Thank you for your question.

I am trying to involve someone familiar with this topic to further look at this issue.

Thanks,
    Qiao

Wednesday, November 16, 2011 10:02 AM
  • This appears to be a known issue with the August 2011 CU for MOSS 2007. The steps to repro are:

1. Create a link in the site navigation
    a. Site Actions -> Site Settings -> Modify Navigation
    2. Place an audience on the item
    3. Save and leave
    4. Go back to edit the same item
    5. You find the item is not populated the audience.

If these are similiar to steps that you are taking to recreate this issue; this problem is currently being reviewed by our product group and is targetted to be fixed in the December 2011 CU for MOSS 2007.

Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Wednesday, November 16, 2011 7:54 PM
  • Hi Jerad,

Thanks a lot for your answer and for confirming this issue.

Is it sure that this issue will be fixed in the December 2011 CU or is it under review and discussion? Can I somehow track it whether the fix for this issue has been included in the December 2011 CU?

Regards,

Simranjeev

Friday, November 18, 2011 11:26 AM
  • Unfortunately I cannot confirm that it will definitely be in the December 2011 CU. It is likely that it will, but I cannot guarantee that. You can track this issue if you have a Microsoft Premier support contract and open a support case for this incident under that contract. Your company can be added to the list of affected customers and you can be provided with status updates about this issue through that case.
    Regards,

Jerad Plesuk
    Friday, November 18, 2011 9:13 PM
  • I have this issue on our 2007 farm as well.  Is there a fix for it yet?  It is a major problem as we can no longer tell who can see certain navigation items.  It is impossible to make modifications when we can't tell who already has the ability to see the menu items via the navigation settings page.
    Wednesday, February 29, 2012 3:26 PM