none
Can a standard user account change the ownership of a file?

Question

• Hello,

I have searched for several hours for a response to this question to no avail. I am currently taking a network technician class trying to get network+ certified and there is an exercise that asks me to create a file as the administrator account, give a standard user permission to take ownership, and then to log in as the standard user and take ownership of the file. however when I try to take ownership of the file as a standard user account I get a UAC window asking for an administrator password to run the program "Permissions editor for files and folders". After several hours of playing with group policies and permissions I am still unable to take ownership of the file as the standard user. Thus my question on the title of this post.

Any help with this would be appreciated. 

Silvaback

Saturday, December 5, 2015 12:02 AM

Answers

• Short answer is no.  You would need to enter an admin password or it would not be a secure OS.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, December 5, 2015 12:52 AM
  • Hi Silvaback,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, if you want to a standard user account change the ownership of a file, you must grant standard user account with administrator permission, then this specific standard user account could change the ownership of a file, it means a standard user account change into the account which has administrator permission.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 7, 2015 6:39 AM

All replies

• Short answer is no.  You would need to enter an admin password or it would not be a secure OS.

Wanikiya and Dyami--Team Zigzag Windows IT-PRO (MS-MVP)

Saturday, December 5, 2015 12:52 AM
  • Hi Silvaback,

Thank you for your question.

In addition above suggestion, if you want to a standard user account change the ownership of a file, you must grant standard user account with administrator permission, then this specific standard user account could change the ownership of a file, it means a standard user account change into the account which has administrator permission.

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Monday, December 7, 2015 6:39 AM