none
Losing customizations during deploy with SCCM

Question

• The company I'm with is using Microsoft SCCM 2012 [System Center Configuration Manager] for deploying new desktop images, applications and updates to new and existing workstations/ VMs throughout the organization.   In order to create a standard base reference desktop image or 'golden image', they have tasked me with developing a new process to deliver a new image creation process that works with SCCM for deployment to 1000s users in the organization.   They have basically given me 'carte blanche' to seek out anything that with work.   

I have made progress in the last few weeks using MDT 2013 [Microsoft Deployment Toolkit] to create new images using task sequences to build images on VirtualBox.   Trials have been encouraging as I built a working base reference image of Windows 10 Enterprise using the current build [1803].   Deployment time was about 36 mins with no apps installed [PXE to desktop icons].  Currently, with 90-95% of the required apps [Office 365, Adobe Reader, Cisco AnyConnect,  etc] its  about 40-45min and they are happy with that.

However, here's where I need help.   My customizations are getting removed when the reference image is deployed to a new unit/workstation.   Using PowerShell scripting, these tweaks include simplifying the Start Menu / Desktop icons and deleting built-in Win10 apps.  When the image is deployed via SCCM, my customizations are 'lost' and the built-in Win10 apps  keep returning [like the Xbox app].  I have been researching this but haven't found a suitable resolution.   

So, with all that said, I was curious what methods most  SCCM / Systems Deployment teams are currently [and successfully] using to:

a) create the golden reference image to be used by SCCM.  MDT or other?
    b) overcome any Win10 customization issue, especially with the built-in apps?

Friday, July 13, 2018 4:14 PM

All replies

• Hello,

It Seems that Your device is connected with internet that's why It's restoring all the UWP Apps. I will suggest you to block the automatic Store apps update from registry or GPO via Task Sequence. 

Reference link

How are you doing yours customizations? If you're still facing problem please let us provide the more details.
    Monday, July 16, 2018 5:47 AM
  • How are you removing built-in apps? Some customization may or may not survive sysprep, so you may have to apply these customizations during OSD

Cheers,
    Anton

Vacuum Breather Blog | Wing Commander Saga | Twitter

Note: Posts are provided "AS IS" without warranty of any kind. If posts are helpful please don't forget to rate them as "Helpful" or as "Answer".

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 10:43 AM
  • Hi,

it sounds like you do not removed provisioned apps….could that be ?

Look here:

https://deploymentparts.wordpress.com/2015/09/10/remove-builtin-apps-from-windows-10-reference-image/

Tuesday, July 17, 2018 1:54 PM