Toshiba Satellite A100-SK8 Screen Brightness RRS feed

• Question

• I am using Windows 7 Professional - not the RC.

The Fn + Brightness Up/Down doesn't work - in fact, none of the Fn key combinations seem to work.

The slider controls through control panel > power settings OR the windows mobility center, do not work either.

Any known causes/solutions to this problem?
    Wednesday, September 16, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• Hi,

We need to install a driver (or program) for the Function key combinations. It should be provided by the computer manufacturer.

I tried to search for the A100-SK8 but failed to find it. Please refer following link:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If your computer can be found on the website, let's check if there is any newer program related to Fn key function. If so, download and install them.

If failed to find, we may need to contact Toshiba for further help.

In addition, I suggest that let's confirm with Toshiba to see if Windows 7 is available for the computer. If there is no Wnidows 7 driver provided for the computer, some function keys may not work.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:14 AM

All replies

• Hi,

We need to install a driver (or program) for the Function key combinations. It should be provided by the computer manufacturer.

I tried to search for the A100-SK8 but failed to find it. Please refer following link:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/home.jsp

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

If your computer can be found on the website, let's check if there is any newer program related to Fn key function. If so, download and install them.

If failed to find, we may need to contact Toshiba for further help.

In addition, I suggest that let's confirm with Toshiba to see if Windows 7 is available for the computer. If there is no Wnidows 7 driver provided for the computer, some function keys may not work.

Thursday, September 17, 2009 9:14 AM
  • Hi there Shaon,

I tried to find drivers myself and couldn't find anything for windows 7 which was also for my laptop's model. I believe Toshiba does indeed not have the necessary software at the moment and need to be contacted.

My laptop came with Windows XP, but it is Vista compatible - so I am assuming the jump to Windows 7 shouldn't be too big in terms of drivers - and it's just controlling the screen brightness, how hard can it be? :)
    Friday, September 18, 2009 3:03 AM
  • Hi,

As you said, computer manufacturer may not publish Windows 7 drivers for Windows XP based computer. We can try to contact Toshiba for a result.

For some old computers which come with Windows XP, common drivers such as display card and sound card drivers can be found a little easier as new drivers can still drive old devices.

However for highly customized functions such as Fn keys, hot keys etc, they need their own drivers which will stop working even after installing a Service Pack update. So if computer manufacturers stop updating drivers, they will lose function and the laptop will just have basic functions (like a removal desktop)

Friday, September 18, 2009 7:57 AM
  • The fn+F6/F7 to adjust screen brightness does not work on my Satellite A100 until I upgrade the BIOS to version 6.00.  After the upgrade it works under Wndows 10 without the need of any additional drivers or utilities.

You can still find the BIOS and other drivers here:
    http://www.toshiba.co.uk/support/drivers/

Make sure that for the product you choose "Archive" instead of "Portables" because the A series is old and is no longer actively supported., i.e., choose Archive | Satellite | Satellite A Series | Satellite A100 (PSAA8)

There are many version of the drivers there, always pick the latest one.
    Friday, January 20, 2017 8:31 PM