Priority when associating multiple gateways with a single route RRS feed

• Question

• Lets say I have one voice policy, PSTN usage and route for a single site.  However, I have two gateways at this site and associate both of them with my route.  The route is set to match any number dialed.  Which gateway will be used when a PSTN call is made?

Will it always try the first one listed and use the second for failover?  Does it distribute calls equally or do I have it all wrong?

Wednesday, July 20, 2011 10:30 PM

Answers

• If there are multiple gateways associated with a single route, than the calls will be round-robbin between the two gateways.

if the gateways are marked down for some reason, but there's another route matching the dialed number bellow in list, than that route will be tried.

• Marked as answer by tpullins Thursday, July 21, 2011 10:01 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:34 PM
  • If you want to set things up so that it will always use one route, but can failover to a secondary route if necessary, you need to set this up at the PSTN Usage level.  For example:  create a PSTN usage called Primary and create and assign a route that uses the primary gateway.  Then create a PSTN usage called Secondary and create and assign a route that uses the secondary gateway only.

Then, in your voice policy, put both the Primary and Secondary PSTN usages, with Primary on top.  End result will be that the Primary route will be used at all times, unless its marked as down.  Then it will failover to the secondary.

See http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/01/enterprise-voice-best-practices-in-lync_21.html for more info.

Ken

http://ucken.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by KenLaskoMVP Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:39 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:35 PM
  • You would have multiple gateways in a single route for exactly the reason you guessed at.  Its a perfect way to do round-robin load balancing between multiple gateways.

Ken

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:40 PM

All replies

• the route are processed top to bottom, once a matching rule is found, calls route that way and the rest are ignored. 

im not sure whether its possible for you to configure your other gateway as an alternate path hence when the primary fails, the alternate kicks in

Thursday, July 21, 2011 1:51 PM
  • If there are multiple gateways associated with a single route, than the calls will be round-robbin between the two gateways.

if the gateways are marked down for some reason, but there's another route matching the dialed number bellow in list, than that route will be tried.

Thursday, July 21, 2011 3:34 PM
  • If you want to set things up so that it will always use one route, but can failover to a secondary route if necessary, you need to set this up at the PSTN Usage level.  For example:  create a PSTN usage called Primary and create and assign a route that uses the primary gateway.  Then create a PSTN usage called Secondary and create and assign a route that uses the secondary gateway only.

Then, in your voice policy, put both the Primary and Secondary PSTN usages, with Primary on top.  End result will be that the Primary route will be used at all times, unless its marked as down.  Then it will failover to the secondary.

See http://ucken.blogspot.com/2011/01/enterprise-voice-best-practices-in-lync_21.html for more info.

Ken

http://ucken.blogspot.com

• Proposed as answer by KenLaskoMVP Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:39 PM
    Thursday, July 21, 2011 5:35 PM
  • Thank you.  That's exactly what I'm looking for.  This will help while transitioning to a new gateway to make everything seemless.  I can even keep the config if the old gateway stays around.

I still don't totally understand why you would want multiple gateways in a single route when I can do it the way Ken explained.  Unless it's just a way to spread load across gateways?

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:38 PM
  • You would have multiple gateways in a single route for exactly the reason you guessed at.  Its a perfect way to do round-robin load balancing between multiple gateways.

Ken

Thursday, July 21, 2011 8:40 PM
  • Can someone confirm that the Mediation Pool is using the Round Robin method to load balance the outbound trafic equally to the gateways configured inside one route?

According to my tests, if you have 2 gateways configured for the same route, Mediation Pool will load balance the trafic to these 2 gateways but with a very "random" way. For example: The 3 first calls are sent to the first gateway and the 4th call is sent to the second gateway. I can observe that calls are sent on average 70% to the first gateway and the 30% remaining is sent to the second.

Saturday, July 23, 2011 7:35 AM