How to Sequence Adobe Reader 11 with Appv 5.0? RRS feed

• Question

• Can any one please let me know step by step procedure to sequence Adobe Reader 11 which supports Shell Extensions, Browser Integration, PDF Ownership?

I've gone through http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/appv.html

Downloaded:

• App-V Reader MSI (AdbeRdr11001_AppV.msi): (one for all Reader MSIs) An App-V specific MSI which installs a few dlls and registries locally to support shell extensions, browser integration, and PDF ownership.
    • Package Accelerator (AdbeRdr11000_MUI_PA.cab): Only available for Reader MUI.

But, I'm unable to perform the first step as it is mentioned to change 

1. HKLM\Software\Microsoft\SoftGrid\4.5\SystemGuard\Overrides.
    2. Create DWORD 
    3. Set value to 1.

The above registry key is not available in Appv 5.0 Sequencer machine.

Please help me with the steps to successfully sequence this.

Thanks in advance.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 12:43 PM

Answers

• Hi,

You mean to say that I need to sequence it normally using package accelerator and then while deploying I need to install the standalone sequenced msi and AdbeRdr1101_AppV.msi both to get browser integration, Shell extensions and PDF Ownership.

Am I Right?

Thank you.

No. The package accelerator and instructions apply to sequencing Reader XI with App-V 4.6, not 5.0.

Follow these instructions for creating a customised installation of Reader XI and then sequence with the v5 Sequencer, following an install just like you would do for a standard deployment: http://stealthpuppy.com/adobe-reader-xi-deployment/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:15 PM

All replies

• You should not need to set that registry key on the sequencing machine for 5.0. You can either use the Accelerator of follow the more manual instructions for sequencing. You must deploy the AdbeRdr1101_AppV.msi on the client machines which you will target for Adobe Reader 11

PLEASE MARK ANY ANSWERS TO HELP OTHERS Blog: rorymon.com Twitter: @Rorymon

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 1:13 PM
  • Note that the above resource addresses App-V 4.6, not 5.

Thus is is unlikely that the steps work, also the Pacakge Accelerator should be App-V 4.6 specific.

Falko

Twitter @kirk_tn   |  Blog kirxblog   |  Web kirx.org

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:06 PM
  • I sequenced this using the manual instructions in App-V 5.0. Seems to work for me, just don't do the parts that are specific to App-V 4.x. You are right about the Accelerator though, kirk.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:16 PM
  • Hi,

You mean to say that I need to sequence it normally using package accelerator and then while deploying I need to install the standalone sequenced msi and AdbeRdr1101_AppV.msi both to get browser integration, Shell extensions and PDF Ownership.

Am I Right?

Thank you.

Tuesday, July 23, 2013 2:17 PM
  • Hi,

Am I Right?

Thank you.

No. The package accelerator and instructions apply to sequencing Reader XI with App-V 4.6, not 5.0.

Follow these instructions for creating a customised installation of Reader XI and then sequence with the v5 Sequencer, following an install just like you would do for a standard deployment: http://stealthpuppy.com/adobe-reader-xi-deployment/

Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" or "Vote as Helpful" on the post that answers your question (or click "Unmark as Answer" if a marked post does not actually answer your question). This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.

This forum post is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect the opinion or view of my employer, Microsoft, its employees, or other MVPs.

Twitter: @stealthpuppy | Blog: stealthpuppy.com | The Definitive Guide to Delivering Microsoft Office with App-V

• Proposed as answer by znack Wednesday, July 24, 2013 7:44 AM
    • Marked as answer by Aaron.ParkerModerator Tuesday, July 30, 2013 7:44 PM
    Tuesday, July 23, 2013 10:15 PM
  • Hi Aaron,

I have already sequenced this by following the recepie provided by you.

But, if we follow that process. Do we get browser integration, Shell extensions and PDF Ownership?

Thanks in advance..

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:26 AM
  • With App-V 5.0 SP2, you most likely will. You'd need to test it in your own environment though.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 10:27 AM
  • I did that in Appv 4.6 SP1 and now i want to do it using Appv 5.0.

But, I didn't find that we can get shell extensions, browser integration and pdf ownership if we follow it.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:02 AM
  • But,

Client requested me to do this in Appv 5.0 and he wants me to achieve Shell extensions, Browser Integration and PDF Ownership.

He gave me http://www.adobe.com/devnet-docs/acrobatetk/tools/AdminGuide/appv.html and requested me to follow the procedure mentioned in that link.

When I tried to do that using 5.0 I'm unable to perform the first step as that registry path is not available in 5.0 sequencer machine.

But, I found that Package accelartor is available for Appv 5.0 in the link below,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/04/30/adobe-reader-11-package-accelerator-available.aspx

Aaron, could you please help me how to achieve this in 5.0

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 11:13 AM
  • I can confirm I have sequenced this successfully and followed the instructions on the Adobe website. I ommitted any steps which did not make sense for App-V 5.0. Did you install the MSI file which you can download from the Adobe URL? Did you install this on your client machines? That puts the features you mentioned locally.

Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:46 PM
  • But, I found that Package accelartor is available for Appv 5.0 in the link below,

http://blogs.technet.com/b/appv/archive/2013/04/30/adobe-reader-11-package-accelerator-available.aspx

Thats a recipe for 4.6, not for 5. There is none for 5 so far.
    Just use this instructions on the adobe site (which you posted before) as a guideline.
    If you want Shell extentions, etc native in your package use AppV5 SP2 (but this is still in beta).
    You can also use 5SP1, and download de MSI from adobe to install these functions locally on the client. You could use a run before script to install them.
    Wednesday, July 24, 2013 1:52 PM
  • Hi Rorymon,

I didn't tried with appv 5.0. But I sucessfully sequenced with 4.6 sp1. I need to give it a try with 5.0.

Thanks.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:22 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you, I'll give it a try.

Thursday, July 25, 2013 2:23 PM
  • I tried to sequence using 4.6 SP1 using Package Accelerator. 

Installed Appv Deployment Kit MSI

started sequencer

Selected Create package Using Accelator

Selected Cab File

Which Folder Do I need to select Here. I selected the Folder which contains files extracted from EXE. It shows 1796 Files Missing.

I selected folder with EXE, It shows the same Error.

What am I Missing? Please Help

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 9:10 AM
  • Hello,

As far as I know, you need the MSI-file from the blog-article?

Nicke Källén | The Knack| Twitter: @Znackattack

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:10 AM
  • Hi Nicke,

It won't show msi file when we try to browse.  We need to select the folder.

I can't be able to do this using 4.6 too.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 11:58 AM
  • Hello,

I suggest create a package from scratch, using the App-V 5 sequencer.

See this guide;

http://www.windows-noob.com/forums/index.php?/topic/6848-how-can-i-sequence-applications-using-app-v-version-5-for-configuration-manager-2012-sp1/

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:01 PM
  • Nicke- I'll do as you suggested.

But, Could you please let me know where I missed out.

Downloaded Adobe Reader AppV Deployment msi.

Downloaded Adobe Installer and Extracted files from exe.

In Sequencer Machine, Installed Adobe Reader AppV Deployment msi.

Started sequencer, selected standard package, installed msi which i've extracted. Launched the exe and it launches fine.

Accepted EULA. Created Appv Package.

Edited OSD, added 

<VIRTUAL_FILE_SYSTEM_PASS_THROUGH>TRUE</VIRTUAL_FILE_SYSTEM_PASS_THROUGH> <VIRTUAL_REGISTRY_PASS_THROUGH>TRUE</VIRTUAL_REGISTRY_PASS_THROUGH> <ENFORCE_ACLS_ON_VREG_MODIFY>TRUE</ENFORCE_ACLS_ON_VREG_MODIFY>

Local_Interaction_Allowed=TRUE

Disabled Protected Mode by Creating DWORD bProtectedMode =0 under the same key.

In Client:

Installed Adobe Reader Appv Deployment MSI and published msi.

When I open webpage which requires Adobe Reader it shows below error.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:25 PM
  • Hello,

Your issue seems to not relate at all to the original issue posted in this. I suggest you articulate your issue in a new thread with more information from the log-files and include what type of infrastructure you are using.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:28 PM
  • Nicke- I've successfully sequenced Adobe Reader. The only problem is to gain Browser Integration and PDF Ownership and Shell Extensions.

But, the link provided by you does not have information to gain these.

Tuesday, July 30, 2013 12:32 PM