none
Server 2008 R2: Unable to go from IE10 -> IE9 RRS feed

• Question

• Thanks in advance for any help!

We are running Server 2008 R2 SP1. We incorrectly let an updating service upgrade IE9 to IE11 and we have tried taking steps to roll back to IE9. We successfully uninstalled IE11, but uninstalling IE10 is proving to be a problem.

In Program and Features -> Installed Updates, we see IE9 listed, not IE10. However when we open IE, it opens IE10.

We also ran and rebooted the following command from an elevated prompt:

FORFILES /P %WINDIR%\servicing\Packages /M Microsoft-Windows-InternetExplorer-*10.*.mum /c "cmd /c echo Uninstalling package @fname && start /w pkgmgr /up:@fname /quiet /norestart"

But after the reboot, IE10 still opens. I am at a standstill, so if anyone else has a suggestion, I'd love to hear it. Thanks!

Tuesday, December 8, 2015 4:21 PM

Answers

• I ended up performing an in-place upgrade. I ran setup.exe off of the Server 2008 R2 installation disk and selected upgrade. After the reinstallation, I had to perform windows updates to catch up. Thankfully, all third-party programs worked and no files were lost.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:52 PM

All replies

• Hi AlexFerguson,

Thank you for your question.

By this issue, we could refer to the following steps to check if the issue persist:

1. Uncheck IE in “Turn Windows features on or off“;
    2. Restart the Windows OS;
    3. Check IE in “Turn Windows features on or off“
    4. Then check the version of IE

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 9:11 AM
  • When I click "Turn Windows Features on or off," I am brought to the "Server Manger" screen. I click "Features" and then click "Add Features" but IE is not listed in there.

Wednesday, December 9, 2015 4:12 PM
  • Hi Alex,

If that, we could go Windows update and find KB2718695, then uninstall it and restart Windows server to check if IE 9 back: 

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/2718695 

Best Regard,

Jim Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help, and unmark the answers if they provide no help. If you have feedback for TechNet Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Jim Xu
    TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:15 AM
  • I ended up performing an in-place upgrade. I ran setup.exe off of the Server 2008 R2 installation disk and selected upgrade. After the reinstallation, I had to perform windows updates to catch up. Thankfully, all third-party programs worked and no files were lost.
    Wednesday, December 16, 2015 2:52 PM