none
Missing "Project Fields" webpart mystery RRS feed

  • Question

  • This has to be the oddest thing I've ever encountered in years of Sharepoint administration, though I have less experience with Project Server administration.  Here goes.

    We've upgraded from Project Server 2010 to Project Server 2013 and have started UAT.  Other than an issue with the BI Center upgrade which was resolved, the upgrade test reported no errors.  The problem is with our Project Detail Pages.

    Any project detail pages that were using the "Project Fields" webpart are giving an error after the upgrade.  In the logs I found:
    - "System.IO.FileNotFoundException: Could not load file or assembly 'Microsoft.Office.Project.Server.Library, Version=14.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=71e9bce111e9429c' or one of its dependencies"
    -  "Microsoft.Office.Project.PWA.WebParts.ProjectFieldPart, Error: File Not Found"

    So first it appears these pages were not upgraded to use the new PWA library.  I wasn't able to find a way to properly upgrade the pages.  So, I began rebuilding them.

    I built one new page in the Project Detail Pages library using the "Project Fields" webpart successfully.  When I went to build a second page, the webpart is completely gone (the "Project Fields (Backwards Compatible)" webpart remains but it is not the same):

    Back in Project Server 2010, here's the webpart:

    Thinking this is an issue with the upgraded PWA, I went to our other test 2013 PWA (that is native 2013 with no content and wasn't an upgrade from 2010), and the webpart is missing there too!

    Then, I rebooted the farm because I was at a loss.  The webpart is still missing.  I was able to use it an hour ago, and the page I built with it still displays it, but I can't add it to any new pages (and tried Export and Upload with no success), and I'm stumped.  Has anyone experienced anything like this before?  Thank you for your insight.

    Tuesday, September 9, 2014 4:31 PM

Answers

  • The answer for this turns out to be disturbingly simple, I just managed not to google for the right terms.  The "Project Fields" webpart was renamed to "Basic Info" in Project Server 2013.  It's upsetting that this webpart name has changed breaking existing pages with no upgrade path.  And, this name change isn't referenced in the official Project Server upgrade guides.

    Mystery solved :(

    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:32 PM

All replies

  • Find the web part referenced in the database and delete the reference. 

    http://troubleshooterms.blogspot.com/2010/01/deleting-webpart-from-page-using.html

    cheers!


    Michael Wharton, MVP, MBA, PMP, MCT, MCTS, MCSD, MCSE+I, MCDBA
    Website http://www.WhartonComputer.com
    Blog http://MyProjectExpert.com contains my field notes and SQL queries

    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 4:01 AM
    Moderator
  • Hi Michael,

    That's one way to delete the webpart from the page, but I'm not having any trouble deleting the webparts.  I can put the page into edit mode and delete the webparts easy enough.

    But, it doesn't explain why the Project Fields webpart is not available, and it doesn't provide an alternative function to the Project Fields webpart - ie how can I create new project forms without it?  Unfortunately it does not answer the question.

    Thanks

    Wednesday, September 10, 2014 3:42 PM
  • The answer for this turns out to be disturbingly simple, I just managed not to google for the right terms.  The "Project Fields" webpart was renamed to "Basic Info" in Project Server 2013.  It's upsetting that this webpart name has changed breaking existing pages with no upgrade path.  And, this name change isn't referenced in the official Project Server upgrade guides.

    Mystery solved :(

    Friday, September 12, 2014 3:32 PM
  • The answer for this turns out to be disturbingly simple, I just managed not to google for the right terms.  The "Project Fields" webpart was renamed to "Basic Info" in Project Server 2013.  It's upsetting that this webpart name has changed breaking existing pages with no upgrade path.  And, this name change isn't referenced in the official Project Server upgrade guides.

    Mystery solved :(


    Agree! Thanks!!
    Tuesday, March 15, 2016 8:09 AM